Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Update

K

kaysie

Just thought I'd stick a few pics on here showing some recent changes in setup and such.

22761.jpg

If you remember the pic I posted a month ago, Blue was only 5 inches long!

22762.jpg

Just a general tank shot, showing the new platform (that they love sitting on and hiding under).

22763.jpg

D

dave

I like that platform you have made. What is it made out of. Very nice setup
happy.gif

K

kim

Very nice Kaysie...Im looking into doing this now... But i'll have to sort the tank out.. too much stuff in there if i get anything else!

K

kaysie

The platform is of my infamous Construx by Fisher Price. They're toys similar to Legos.

Who wants to take a stab at genetics on ol' Blue? s/he is definately lacking iridophores and xanthophores. But because s/he was born really light, I dont think its melanistic. If you look closely at the pic, you can see some even darker speckling. And check out the striped toes! My own little freak.

JP: dont be worried about too much stuff. I was thinking about putting some more tubes in, just so they have more stuff to play on. They do enjoy playing, be it tag or on the bubble coaster.

M

mik

lol, you knew I couldn't resist that genetics line.

I think your Blue is a freaky wild type.
I'm looking at the gills and thing they are the same colour as seen on a wildtype. Though a bit light in comparison with some.

The black eyes rule out the influence of the albino allelles.

The dark spots are patches of melanophores.

I would guess that there are xanthphores and iridophores just not many of them or an unusual combination.

From what i have read; the various chromatophores are laid down at different levles within the skin and it is the depth and relative position to the other chromatophores that determines the colour. The same chromatophores exist in frogs, sallies and newts and the range of patterns and vivid colours available beggars belief, though i'm not sure if they have any other types of chromatophores. But if i remember rightly the colour of a chromatophore is also influenced by diet or other external factors e.g xanthophores in a frog or sallie can be darker more orange than we see in axies.

If any one has read more I would be interested in the book reference.

K

kaysie

Mikki, if possible, I'll get you a nice closeup of his head/gills (and one of the normal wildtype). I am going to stick to my guns that there arent any iridophores for sure (its like he sucks the light in to make a velvety appearance), and xanthophores, I'm pretty sure. He lacks any yellow coloration at all, especially when compared to the siblings, who have a lovely yellow underwebbing.

M

mik

* While the girls are fighting Mikki, nips in, steals Blue and is away over the hills with him*

* Mikki's Mrs says 'No more!' and forces him to take it back before he's missed*

K

kaysie

If s/he breeds, and we get more freaks, I'll find SOMEONE with a CITES permit and ship some to the UK, if at all possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1