Axies floating ?!

C

cathy

uhoh.gif

Hi everyone,
My 2 adult axies float on and off, sometimes for hours at a time amongst my fake plants. Is this normal behaviour or should i be concerned. They also occasionally rush from the sand to the surface to take a big gulp of air. Thanks for your help.

Cathy - yes that is normal.

You might want to check out caudata's sister site

http://www.axolotl.org/

There is an FAQ there filled with information for new axolotl owners, and the site has loads of good information on care.
happy.gif

Unless they float at top of tank, unpsupported by weed and struggle to get down then it's proably nothing to be concerned with.

I took some great piccys of Tweak 'floating in mid tank' and I will post them this weekend in the gallery take a look. He's the ugliest axie ever but is very impressive too.

Thanks guys, they seem to be having fun hanging out and aren't distressed at all. It would be nice to be able to float in water all day like that!! Don't u think?
smile.gif

Dragoon (who died on 20th Jan) always floats for a bit then does a whole circuit of the tank around and around for like... two minutes then he decides to sit down at the bottom on the gravel for the rest of the time. It'd be really fun to float in water all day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back