Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

AXO... Q. CAN AN AXO BE MOVED TO POND?

I

itscaro

HI,
I HAVE A 3 YR. OLD AXO.HE'S CALLED FAT AL, SOMETIMES PRONOUNCED FATAL!,'COS OF HIS SUICIDAL TENDE}}}}}NCIES, HE WILL ONLY EAT RAW CHICKEN DROPPED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF HIS FACE WITH A PR. OF TWEEZERS, HE ONLY NEEDS TO OPEN HIS MOUTH.
MY FAULT, I HATED CLEANING THE MESS OF THE TINY THREAD LIKE FROZEN BLOODWORMS.
MY QUESTIONS: CAN I MOVE HIM (HOW DO YOU TELL??), FROM AN INSIDE TANK TO AN OUTSIDE CEMENT FISH POND? DO YOU THINK HE MAY RE LEARN HOW TO FEED HIMSELF OFF THE MOSS AROUND THE WALLS, LIKE THE RESIDENT GOLDFISH?? WILL HE LIKE GETTING OUT OF THE WATER AND HANGING ON A ROCK IN THE SUN?? DO THEY DO THAT, AND WILL HE DEVELOP LUNGS?
HEY THANKS, IN ANTICIPATION,
CARO... }}}}}

J

jennifer

Caro,

1. Please do not type in all capital letters! That is hard to read and very annoying.

2. Raw chicken is not a good diet. You seem to know that, though. There are healthier non-messy foods you could use (like earthworms or even pellets). No, he will never eat moss.

3. He should not live with goldfish. Even without the goldfish, a pond is risky for other reasons (temperatures, predators, etc.).

4. No, he will not bask. I think axolotls already have lungs, in addition to the gills. If he did lose his gills, he would just crawl away and be lost, but that's not likely.

M

mik

Jenny is perfectly correct in what she says.

Two of mine were kept in a pond by their previous owner. I took them in March/April and they were very thin. They survived frost/predators/lack of food. But not a good idea.

Don't do it unless you are prepared to set it up right nets/plants/food supply/filtration and monitor it every day to make sure they don't die.

K

katy

in addition to what's already been said, why would you want to do this? what's the point in having a pet if it's out in a garden pond where you'll never see it? if you don't want him any more, rehome him rather than sticking him out in the pond where his survival chances are slim.

J

jesse

Acutally even if there were the proper safety mesures taken insects with chemicals on them could fall in be eaten and poison youre animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1