Kiowa

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Kirst
Axolotl without oxygen

Hello

How long can an axolotl live without any oxygen in the aquarium?

Thank you

Their is always some oxygen in the water. An axolotl can gulp air at the top. Circulation of the water by an air stone or pump and larger surface volume are ways of having more oxygen in the water. An axolotl can do fine without a filter or water circulation as long as their is a sufficient volume of water. An axolotl enclosed in a bag will run out of oxygen. I've had axolotls delayed in shipping that were fine after 3 days when packed well.

Exactly what Michael said. There is always oxygen in water that is exposed to the atmosphere as oxygen will move from the atmosphere to the water to replace lost oxygen to maintain equilibrium. Things like air pumps and filter can cause this oxygen exchange to happen more quickly, but either way there is always oxygen. The only way to not have oxygen is to totally separate the water from the atmosphere as in the bag example Michael used.

Thank you very much

( I wrote my question incorrectly which was answered)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back