Axolotl at College

C

claire

This is on of the axolotls at college.I think it is the male (we have a male and a female). i will get more pics of them both when i see them again on monday because i have a digital camera now
happy.gif
.<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

College Adult Lotl.bmp (230.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

wow that one is so cool!

if they breed and you get offspring like that i would really want one!

Great little axolotl Claire.

I love that color. If I ever find one available... of course I want one too.
happy.gif

Hey thanx everyone!hehe. well i got into college today and my friend told me they have had babies.wooo.not allowed any though!im going to get them secretly and keep them at my boyfriends flat.not sure if they young turn out the same colour because if you look at a previous pic i posted a while back (post is called college baby lotl or something or other) well that is one of the young from last year. the male and female adults are both that colour...maybe when the babies get older they will turn out like that! not sure at all though. the college has bought new axolotls aswell. a wildtype and leucistic both around 5-6 inches in length and they have a wildtype which is about 1 inch in length! they are sooo cute!took pics today of the leucustic 5-6 inch one! ill post it after ive sent this because i need to put it on the comp 1st!

clairey.xxx.

how come your col keeps so many axys? is it just for fun or is it for biology n stuff?

just for fun really! not many people like them at the college to be honest but i fell in love with them as soon as i saw them! hehe. i got way too excited when i heard that they had had lots of babies!lol.

clairey.xxx.

Wow that colour is amazing. I like the male. It's got patches like a dairy cow. No offence to the lotls or anything.
happy.gif

lol im sure they wont be offended at all! dairy cows are great! lol. heres a pic of the newest leucistic at college!
29089.jpg

Very Nice Claire, if you are able to get your hands on one, im looking for a male axie... seeing as all 3 or mine want to be female
sad.gif

Ill ask around for a male if i can. There is a shop in Darlington (nearish me) called coast to coast and they sell all types of exotic animals and they get axolotls in every now and again. If you live near there you should visit because it is a really good shop and you might find a male axie there!

clairey.xxx.

In the immortal phrasiology of 'Little Britain'... "want that one...."

could be getting my hands on them 2 coll coloured axies coz my course lecturer is giving them away so he can replace them with the 2 new ones! hehe aint that cool???

29223.jpg

I have mislaid the details of who to credit for this image....but I'm working on it.
blush.gif

(Message edited by mike on January 14, 2005)

wow they are amazing!!!!!! i want one!!! ive always wanted a melanoid and leucistic! i cud av both in one!lol! :D .i really hope i can get the 2 lotls from college coz im sooo excited and ive built my hopes up!lol. my lecturer has said that he will ask the woman in charge of the animal unit if she hasnt already said someone else could have them...if she hasnt then im gettin those babies!!! hehe. im sure noone will have asked because they would have asked for the babies because they look easier to care for but they are harder to look after!lol.
clairey.xxx.

ps ill get pics of them if i get them! and if i get them...ill be picking them up on friday! wish me luck people! woo!

Mike -

I may be mistaken, but I believe that those axolotls were the product of an experiment in Japan where the heads of either albino or leucistic axolotl embryos were replaced with those of melanoid or wild-type in a study of regeneration.

Mike - that is one of my all time favorite pictures
happy.gif

I too remember those being "spliced axolotls" in a regeneration study.

So it looks to me like the 1st and 2nd pics are of piebald mutations, am I wrong? I've never known anyone to have one just seen it in a book once(Amphibians in Captivity by Marc Staniszewski, anyways, Cool
happy.gif
!

Thats piccy is from a japanese site Mike E. If you use the search function for 'chimera' you will find it.

Those were the result of beheading wildtypes and albinos and fusing the heads onto each others bodies. The process was carried out while they were at some stage in the eggs (sorry can't remember which but it was early) and involved some form a clamp and electric current to invoke fusion.

So no-one is likely to breed a chimera like these (unless incredibly lucky) or is likely to produce some unless they know the technique and have all the right equipment and capability.

However, the leucy with piebald head is really cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back