Axolotl ate minnow

Cooperh02

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey so I know I’m probably overreacting but I love my little guy, I fed him a rosy red minnow and then afterwards was told they are really bad for them, is there any signs I should watch for?

If it had been quarantined and no sign of disease then I wouldn't worry at all. If it hadn't then you need to keep a close eye on signs of infection and act promptly. My axolotl were often fed Cloud minnow, some of which were quite successful with avoiding capture and lived long enough to breed.

unless you are feeding your axolotl minnows on a frequent basis there shouldn't be an issue, the problems related to minnows are.. parasites, very important to quarantine any live food. some species of minnow have spikes on fins, this can cause issues when eaten by predator animals. some minnows carry a hormone/chemical that in large amounts can affect an axolotl, hence the very infrequent feeding as live food.

Rosy red minnows have thiaminase in them which blocks the uptake of vit. B. Best not to use them as a regular food source. Shop bought fish can introduce disease into your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back