Photo: Axolotl babies

Lewy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lewy
Here's a couple of our latest hatched Axies - got some spawn last year but lost them all in one go (we believe contaminated food as they onlt died off when they started eating bloodworm)

This year we've done everything different, we've had a few losses but fingers crossed the rest are doing fine at the moment and will continue to do so.

Any ideas what type this is? We bought the spawn so now idea what the parents are. I know some of the ones are Golden and albinos but just wondering about these few.

and to give you an idea of size:

Would post some pics of the albinos but they are really hard to get a decent picture of them - they're so see through you can't see them to focus on them (even manually) Any tips for taking photos of albinos? :D

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello, i'm not far from you i'm in sheffield. They look like wild type those dark ones. Can you tell if they have reflective eyes? How many do you have and what are your plans for them. Mel

Lewy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lewy
I thought Wildtypes would be completely black and not as patchy - it's like these are a mix or golden/wildtype - Out of the 25ish we got we have about 10 left.

Some just didn't eat in the early days and stayed very small, eventually they gave up, some were eaten by other axies until we separated them into individual tanks (Cricket keeper sized)

The last ten or so seem to be doing okay at the moment. Daily feeding and water changes is working fine so far.

We're hoping to keep 3-4 in a custom fibreglass tank (like the ones they have Koi carp in in garden centres) and our favourite two out of the lot will be kept in tanks in the house. any of the rest that make it will be sold to people that know what they're doing with amphibians.

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
WET N' WILD
Yeah those are wildtypes, the colors and patterns will change somewhat as they grow. melanoids would be more of a solid dark grayish color with no shiney eye ring,
As for taking pictures of the albinos, might be easier if you put the water container over something dark like a piece of black paper, or a dark shirt ect.

melfly

Reaction score
Country
England
You'll be able to tell better as they get bigger. Wildtypes can be very dark or very light. Some that start dark can turn to white with black eyes. Mel

michaelaf

Reaction score
Country
United States
they are cute. my 3 i just got look alot like them, but i can not seem to get a picture of them.

Lewy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Lewy
... But they are too little to eat the bloodworms. You should feed them newly hatched brine shrimps for the first 2 weeks.

Take a look at this link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

-Tina-
Thanks Tina - They've been on daphnia for weeks, They moved up to blood worm when they started developing their front legs, they're eating them fine... Here's an up to date photo

Last edited:

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I love the look of baby wildtypes. They're so cute. The albino is remarkable though! I've never seen a picture of such a young albino before. I would just find watching its heartbeat so fascinating!

Glad to hear that your babies are doing well!

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Aimée
Really? They go from dark to white?? WOW!!! I have babies at the moment who are quite dark.. how do I tell what type they will be?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +1
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +1