Axolotl Behind Floating

KirbyandMudkip11

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
EmmyWmmy
Hello! So my juvenile axolotl has been floating for the last four days. I didn’t feed him the first two days I noticed the floating but I did feed him today and yesterday.
I thought it was maybe gas buildup but I feel like it should’ve passed by now.
Any suggestions?

unfortunately juveniles seem to have a habit of floating, if the floating is bad and causing stress tub in shallow cold dechlorinated water, otherwise it's just a case of waiting for the air block to pass.
to try and prevent future occurrences ensure that the water is cold and well oxygenated, either don't feed hard pellets or soften them before hard, ensure good water parameters.

unfortunately juveniles seem to have a habit of floating, if the floating is bad and causing stress tub in shallow cold dechlorinated water, otherwise it's just a case of waiting for the air block to pass.
to try and prevent future occurrences ensure that the water is cold and well oxygenated, either don't feed hard pellets or soften them before hard, ensure good water parameters.
there was another thread where a juvenile was having major floating problems and was fighting it and went to a hide in the aquarium to not float up to the surface. try to have some of those too. terracotta is commonly used as well as pvc pipe for cheaper hides. make sure it's aquarium safe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back