Question: Axolotl Breeding

siftyzod

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there
2 days ago our male axolotl went nutty and laid his spermatophores around the tank.
we have 2 females in the tank which he was hitting into and just doing what he should be.
now im not sure if any of the females picked up the spermatophores or not...
is it possible that neither of them did or do they normally pick them up
also does the white top disappear when they have picked it up as one of the females was sitting on one until the male nudged her off it
im not sure what to be exepecting now if anything at all and if it wasnt successful how long do we wait till we try again as we will seperate the male from the 2 females again for a few days and put him back in if need be
this is our first time breeding them and just really would like to know the ins and outs of it so we know that we are doing it correctly.
thanks
Glenn
:confused:

If your females had picked up any spermatophores they should have laid eggs within 48 hours. The separation of male and female is a good method with high results in my experience, although if this is their 1st breeding they might take a while. It took mine ages to breed once they were mature, but as soon as they realized they could they just wouldn't stop

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back