Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl cant swim anymore

MirBr

Reaction score
Also, consider force-feeding if he's not eating:

Euthanasia is going to be irreversible and it is completely your decision but as long there are options left, you can still consider exploring those as well.
We would try anything not to lose him, I'll have a look at this immediately

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
No he is still alive! We just heard the news and agreed with the vet that we would give a call back once we've processed everything.
Thats really nice of you!!
Okay, he got back fast and says the erratic movements look like a problem with the nervous system and that Harry also looks impacted but that given the erratic movements, it's far more likely something is wrong with Harry's nervous system. He also said, "Poor fella". :(

Sorry that the second opinion was no good either but since it was free, I figured it'd be worth it to get one for you. From your overall care, I don't think there were too many mistakes, if any, in your husbandry. Some axolotls simply just get these problems. :(

MirBr

Reaction score
Okay, he got back fast and says the erratic movements look like a problem with the nervous system and that Harry also looks impacted but that given the erratic movements, it's far more likely something is wrong with Harry's nervous system. He also said, "Poor fella". :(

Sorry that the second opinion was no good either but since it was free, I figured it'd be worth it to get one for you. From your overall care, I don't think there were too many mistakes, if any, in your husbandry. Some axolotls simply just get these problems. :(
Thank you for checking with the vet, at least now we are more certain on what's going on and can make a well informed decision the next coming days. Just sad to lose him so soon:(

wolfen

Reaction score
if you can put your hand under your axolotl and feel around its stomach, does it feel hard?.
looking at the video it looks like it has a gut full of weight that is preventing it from swimming/going to the surface. it has enough tail movement that even a over weight axolotl would normally move forward.
when was the last time it defecated?
tubbing right now might be best to relieve stress, I know that solutions such as holfreters contain magnesium sulphate/epsom salts and that they can have a laxative effect on most animals so I would suggest using 0.2g per litre unscented/pure epsom salts in a tub with a air stone and cold dechlorinated water changing the water daily, also feed at night water change in morning, feed bloodworm or brine shrimp nothing large until the obstruction has passed through.

MirBr

Reaction score
if you can put your hand under your axolotl and feel around its stomach, does it feel hard?.
looking at the video it looks like it has a gut full of weight that is preventing it from swimming/going to the surface. it has enough tail movement that even a over weight axolotl would normally move forward.
when was the last time it defecated?
tubbing right now might be best to relieve stress, I know that solutions such as holfreters contain magnesium sulphate/epsom salts and that they can have a laxative effect on most animals so I would suggest using 0.2g per litre unscented/pure epsom salts in a tub with a air stone and cold dechlorinated water changing the water daily, also feed at night water change in morning, feed bloodworm or brine shrimp nothing large until the obstruction has passed through.
I dont know if his belly feels hard but can try to find out. We tubbed him for a week in the fridge where he pooped but refused to eat.

wolfen

Reaction score
I dont know if his belly feels hard but can try to find out. We tubbed him for a week in the fridge where he pooped but refused to eat.
what was the consistency of his stools, i'm not surprised he wont eat it would be like eating with a stomach ache, he might need x-raying to find out what is in his stomach.
if it's just sand then gentle massaging might help move it.

MirBr

Reaction score
Just a small update because everyone has been so helpful here :). Harry is still alive! He started eating again after a few weeks of nothing, first he would only eat tubifex and now he will sometimes eat a small pellet. When we dangle an earth worm in front of him freaks out for some reason. He still can't swim but actually seems quite content roaming across the bottom of his tank. Although of course we can never be sure if he is really happy but we are trying our best and are glad he is still with us.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Just a small update because everyone has been so helpful here :). Harry is still alive! He started eating again after a few weeks of nothing, first he would only eat tubifex and now he will sometimes eat a small pellet. When we dangle an earth worm in front of him freaks out for some reason. He still can't swim but actually seems quite content roaming across the bottom of his tank. Although of course we can never be sure if he is really happy but we are trying our best and are glad he is still with us.
YAY! That is good to hear!💙

Keep an air stone in the tank so he can get gulps for air as needed. He's such a lovely critter.💙

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!