Axolotl Changing Colour?

imzunicorn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have two leucistic types. I was just wondering about their colouring. Sometimes they'll be really pale and their bodies will be white with really light pink gills. Other times they'll be pink with gills nearly red. I'm just wondering why this happens?

I don't think it's anything bad because they'll get pale in cooler waters, but they also seem to get pale when they're hungry cos the colour comes back when they've eaten.

Do the darker axolotls change colour like this?

hey, nothing to worry about.the more active they are the brighter they are, like when they are eating etc..

Oh, that makes sense. Like their blood is flowing kind of thing. Now that you mention it, the more shy one that likes to hide all day is usually paler than the other that likes to swim.

Do you have any dark coloured ones?

Yeah, it's the blood flowing through their gills that make them brighter, kind of like when we exercise and get flushed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back