Photo: Axolotl color forms

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey there,

Axolotls are known for their huge variability due to inbreeding and hybridisation.
Except the "normal" forms like golden albino, white albino, leucistic, melanoids there are much more complex and less known forms.

Here are some photos I took this weekend but there are more on my computer.

8730964741_c90b471081_b.jpg

8732084860_033f55fa5a_b.jpg

8732082814_e714e30fcd_b.jpg

8732083646_4f908394d6_b.jpg

8730974487_7ca2b2d672_b.jpg

8730959947_54a8dfe66f_b.jpg

These animals come from different parents and/or different mutations or something like that. No one knows so far.

Please don't send me any messages, no eggs or animals are for sale and none of the shown animals belong to me!

Regards,
Mario

I love the last pic <3 so gorgeous :D

I'm glad I don't want 1 of every variety or I'd need a lot more tanks - so many colours & variations :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Mario, thanks for the pics! I think the genetic diversity in Europe is much better than in the US or Australia, so these variations pop up more?

Thanks for posting these unusual colour forms. The last one is amazing, do you have any other photos of this animal?

Regards Neil

The last one looks like it's been in a frying pan but they're all so lovely :D

One interesting thing is that as any of these forms bear a name, it is impossible to find them on the web. But, it is true that the last one is actually incredible; the thing is that we do not know if it is caused by a non-genetic disorder or a mutation, but it resembles 'enigma' lotls' that had previously be presented before. But the gold flakes, black patches and white surfaces, and what seems to be a melano eye (could be), make it even more unbelievable (true piebald?). I would go for an illness, but if this one is genetic, I would spend hundreds for it.
Respects.
William G.

Amazing pics especially last one. Just curious we looked at the expression of recessive genes could these morphs be a result of selective breeding. Or is it pot luck?

The last one started its live as a wild type, then started to reduce its pigments till it looked like a pure leucist. After that pigmentation appeared again and still changes over time. Since couple weeks the yellow pattern is increasing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back