Axolotl Curved Tail! Help Please!

brethrend

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I don't understand what's wrong!
I'm a new axelotl owner and ive had him for 1 week.
He's been living in a small tank, about 40L, but I recently bought a 2ft tank.

His tail has been curved since I bought him so i'm wondering what is wrong and how I can fix it!

There are the two pictures.

The one with him on the skull is when I first got him before I had a bigger hide.

He is also starting to get small white spots going down his back in a line.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,618
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,776
Re: Axelotl Curved Tail! Help Please!

Could be the filter, or temperature. But you would have to know the condition of the other tank to figure that out. It could be just a habit, but honestly it would most likely be trial and error.

What is your water quality like? Do you test your parameters? Ammonia? Nitrite? What temperature do you keep him at?

How do you clean your substrate? Rocks like that are notorious for trapping waste, and are difficult to clean.

I've seen tails like that on stressed axolotls a couple of times.

Hi,
I would say that this (the tiny little kink at the tip of the tail) is an indication of stress, probably from the pet store and moving to a new home.

It will take a while for the tip of the tail to straighten out even after you have fixed everything. Just keep doing a good job with water quality (see other threads) and temperature and you should be fine. (make sure you test for ammonia and keep the temp below 22 degrees)

In the first weeks of a new tank/axolotl, you need to learn the nitrogen cycle and watch your ammonia levels. Once the good bacteria have colonised your filter you should be sweet!

Not sure about the white spots, could they be fungus or are they part of the skin?
(I've seen lots of fungus on axolotls in pet stores in Melbourne)
If so, you will need to do salt baths. (see other threads)

maybe it's just stress from the move, if it doesn't get better, stick it in the fridge

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back