Axolotl died?

Indie3321

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, today my Axolotl died, he was fine in the morning and later on in the day he was in the corner dead, he was red all over his body and his face was discolored, and his fins were thinned and his fingers were damaged badly, I changed his tank completely once every two weeks and partially twice a week, and feed him three times out of the week, what did I do wrong? Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Today was the day I was supposed to change his tank partially, I need help understanding what I did wrong? The photo is the ph, gh and nitrate level in the water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I'm sooooo sorry!!!

Lets review a few things to see if we can help you to find an answer.

When was the tank set up?
How did you cycle it and for how long?

Were you only testing with strips?

Calagary
Hello, today my Axolotl died, he was fine in the morning and later on in the day he was in the corner dead, he was red all over his body and his face was discolored, and his fins were thinned and his fingers were damaged badly, I changed his tank completely once every two weeks and partially twice a week, and feed him three times out of the week, what did I do wrong? Can someone tell me what I did wrong? Today was the day I was supposed to change his tank partially, I need help understanding what I did wrong? The photo is the ph, gh and nitrate level in the water
Calgary asked all my questions, but I’m soooo sorry!! The red all over sounds like ammonia burn, along with thinned fins and and fingers. I’m so sorry for your loss💔

It sounds like you did to many large water tanks to maintain water quality.

The tank was set up a couple of months ago I’d say somewhere in June or July and I tested it with strips when I found him in his tank, he didn’t have one set up for him so I did the cycling manually, honestly I was kind of procrastinating in getting him a filter but I made sure everything was clean manually, and I’m sorry if I’m rambling but I don’t know if I am crazy but there was a funny smell in his tank, it smelled like bleach, I don’t know if it’s actually bleach or if I’m just going crazy, but I need to know.

Last edited:
It sounds like the tank/filter was never cycled allowing ammonia to become toxic.
The test strips are high inaccurate and do not test for ammonia.

I am so sorry it sounds like ammonia toxicity.

Cycling takes 6-8 weeks with no axolotl in the tank and testing with liquid tests and dosing with ammonia every day.

Soooooo sorry

The tank was set up a couple of months ago I’d say somewhere in June or July and I tested it with strips when I found him in his tank, he didn’t have one set up for him so I did the cycling manually, honestly I was kind of procrastinating in getting him a filter but I made sure everything was clean manually, and I’m sorry if I’m rambling but I don’t know if I am crazy but there was a funny smell in his tank, it smelled like bleach, I don’t know if it’s actually bleach or if I’m just going crazy, but I need to know.

I meant to say to many large water changes.

@Indie3321

I am so sorry for your loss! Were you home? Like, how did it happen so fast? That seems like, utterly impossible.

Don't take this as me like, being a jerk but like, I would recommend getting API's Freshwater Master Testing Kit. It tests for ammonia. What kind of axolotl was your beloved little guy? Normal colors or like albino or leusistic? I am so sorry, again, like, I cried when I read this, I am so sorry. Please consider getting another axolotl! They need our love and affection to keep them going.

I am a novice with all this and I've gotten a lot of conflicting information. What size was the gallon size for the tank? I'm so sorry, again, like, 10,000 sympathies.

It sounds like the tank/filter was never cycled allowing ammonia to become toxic.
The test strips are high inaccurate and do not test for ammonia.

I am so sorry it sounds like ammonia toxicity.

Cycling takes 6-8 weeks with no axolotl in the tank and testing with liquid tests and dosing with ammonia every day.

Soooooo sorry

How long would it have taken for the ammonia to be become deadly in the tank? I did the same routine in his tank for months since I got him in February, would the ammonia how fast could the ammonia have built up? Sorry I just have a lot of questions, how fast can ammonia cause death in the tank?

I have no idea how long it could take, hopefully one of the most experienced guys can get back to you. I just did an ammonia test on my tank, it was like below .25. That is usually what my axolotl's tank idles at in between water changes and sadly, I have to go to work asap, so I gotta make this brief.

I am so sorry again, like, you have my deepest sympathies, I hope one of the more experienced owners is able to give you the answer.

ammonia can build up to toxic levels in a day. Its toxicity is higher in cold water tanks.
I think you managed to just keep it barely in check with all the water changes.

cycling a tank/filter means ammonia is converted to nitrite then nitrate. nitrate as the end product is safe up to 40ppm where ammonia is only safe at 0 ppm

How long would it have taken for the ammonia to be become deadly in the tank? I did the same routine in his tank for months since I got him in February, would the ammonia how fast could the ammonia have built up? Sorry I just have a lot of questions, how fast can ammonia cause death in the tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back