Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl died

Tellie Tellie 2

Reaction score
My axi sadly died.
She jumped out of her container and I am not sure for how long.
When I picked her up and she was still wiggling.
I put her in her container but a lot of bubbles came out.
She squirmed and turned twice. I added ice to her container but she didn’t make it. Any advice on what I could have done differently. Besides keeping the lid on the tank which I’m doing now for my other babies. I’m just so sad and sorry to loose her

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I don't have too much...
Often it's not being out of water but the slime coat damage that leaves it more prone to infection. Giving the water a minimum dosage of methylene blue helped save the life of one recent member's axolotl.

I think size and age of the animal also would increase likelihood of survival. Really all you can do in this event is increase likelihood of survival, TBH.

Cool, clean water increases. Size and age of axolotl increases it. Minimizing time out of water increases it. Etc.

So in answer to your question, maybe, maybe not. BTW, other member had a lid so even with a lid, they can still find ways to get out.

Check the current tank parameters though. Sometimes, they are in search of better water, though it may have just gotten spooked by tank mates.

I am sorry for the loss of your little friend.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
never add ice to a tubbed axolotl, although they require cold water the sudden temperature drop can put them in shock.
I'm not entirely certain, but wouldn't it depend on how much ice was added at once? I'm not sure if one cube being added at a time would lower the temperature at a rate fast enough to cause shock. I'm no scientist so maybe you have different input.

wolfen

Reaction score
when ice is introduced the temperature in the water surrounding it plummets which causes fast cooling (warm water rises, cold water drops), this isn't as noticeable if it is one ice cube added at a time but because of the time taken to cool the water more ice tends to be used instead, also size of container must be taken into account as the smaller the container the larger the impact.

Tellie Tellie 2

Reaction score
I did put quite a bit of ice at a time
I will get some methylene blue just to have for future ( how much is minimum?)and I wil definitely slow down on the ice. This is such a learning curve and I appreciate your input so much

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I did put quite a bit of ice at a time
I will get some methylene blue just to have for future ( how much is minimum?)and I wil definitely slow down on the ice. This is such a learning curve and I appreciate your input so much
adding large quantities of ice is a no go, sudden temperature change can cause shock, and gradually lower temperatures slow down heart rate and metabolism. if she had suffered a fall from jumping out, it's likely she wouldn't have made it anyways.
as for meth. blue, i only have one bottle because its so potent. be cautious using it with bare hands!

Tellie Tellie 2

Reaction score
My axi sadly died.
She jumped out of her container and I am not sure for how long.
When I picked her up and she was still wiggling.
I put her in her container but a lot of bubbles came out.
She squirmed and turned twice. I added ice to her container but she didn’t make it. Any advice on what I could have done differently. Besides keeping the lid on the tank which I’m doing now for my other babies. I’m just so sad and sorry to loose her

adding large quantities of ice is a no go, sudden temperature change can cause shock, and gradually lower temperatures slow down heart rate and metabolism. if she had suffered a fall from jumping out, it's likely she wouldn't have made it anyways.
as for meth. blue, i only have one bottle because its so potent. be cautious using it with bare hands!
Hi can I ask what is this meth. blue

wolfen

Reaction score
meth blue is short for methylene blue (Methylthioninium chloride) which is used as a medication for aquatic animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!