Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Egg Ammonia Spike? Please help!!

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
I'm raising a small amount of eggs right now. Each egg is in its own tub. They were purchased from a responsible breeder with known hets. All eggs were gotten locally, no shipping involved. All eggs beaned and developed well so far. They are about 15 days old now. All are still alive, moving, and I can see their hearts beating. None have hatched.

I was getting concerned as my water temp isn't exactly low (about 65-67 for the eggs) and none had hatched yet, but I can see their tail tips sort of bent as if they're too large for the eggs. A few websites I'd read through + my breeder said that once you clearly see the eyes and organs, they're about a day or so away from hatching. I've seen the eyes and organs for about 5 days now.

I tested everything in their water, and to my surprise and despair their ammonia had a HUGE spike. I have no clue how this could have happened, my breeder led me to believe eggs didn't require daily water changing until they were hatched. One egg per glass tub, no ammonia in the tap water. Their water was last changed 5 days ago.

Parameters: 6 gh 4 kh 7.4 ph 2.0+ ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate

I'm terrified this is going to kill them or hinder their development, I didn't even know ammonia spikes happened unless an egg passed, which none of them have/: it was every single tub ( 5 ) as well. I put them into fresh clean water with the same gh and kh, ph was closer to 7.0 and temp was closer to 63F but I just wanted them out of the ammonia ASAP.

What are the odds I've killed them with this? Do eggs require daily changes? I'm going to start at least testing them daily, and changing if I see anything off. Will this stress them to death? Should I help them hatch because they haven't yet? Could the ammonia be preventing them from hatching? I was so excited to raise my first clutch and I feel like I've screwed it all up ): I feel just awful.

Attachments

• D8258F27-61AE-43DC-BB2E-E828A47DDECC.jpeg
    D8258F27-61AE-43DC-BB2E-E828A47DDECC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 474
  • 2FC42817-1B09-4CB0-91E0-C8B338882444.jpeg
    2FC42817-1B09-4CB0-91E0-C8B338882444.jpeg
    999.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 5E1B17D4-3B94-45DB-9AA9-20096F3B39F1.jpeg
    5E1B17D4-3B94-45DB-9AA9-20096F3B39F1.jpeg
    915.1 KB · Views: 120

JM29

Reaction score
Nothing weird with your babies if they all are like the ones on the photos.
At this point, a complete water change usually triggers hatching.

As for the "ammonia spike" :
- perhaps it happens frequently but very few people check ammonia for eggs,
- even if embryos don't actually eat external food, they do process their yolk and produce ammonia and other waste. You don't precise what water volume is available for each egg,
- at pH 7,4, ammonia is mainly in ammonium form, not very toxic. If you tested total ammonia, a value of 2 isn't alarming.

So, make a water change and wait, but don't worry too much

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1