Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl flakey skin/mucus coating. Need advice

stevencere

Reaction score
Hello! I am a proud owner of two axolotls, one is a dwarf, and I think there’s an issue. I have checked their water condition and it keeps reporting high ammonia. I had to take my axolotls out and do a full water change because one seemed to have flakey and white skin coming off of them (thinking this is their mucus coating). As you can see there are pieces from today of this white tissue stuff on the ground of the tank (wasn’t there this morning) They are less than a year old, never had this problem before, and I’m unsure what to do. Is it a fungus problem? Bacteria? Or if it’s still ammonia how do I lower that? Any advice will help!
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86

bhollow

Reaction score
it sounds like their slime coat is being damaged by the ammonia. youd want to tub them and change their water 100% in the tub once or twice a day and try to do a black tea bath for them to help their slime coat heal.
edit: oh having Indian Almond Leafs/Catappa leaves in the water would help with them healing a lot too

stevencere

Reaction score
it sounds like their slime coat is being damaged by the ammonia. youd want to tub them and change their water 100% in the tub once or twice a day and try to do a black tea bath for them to help their slime coat heal.
edit: oh having Indian Almond Leafs/Catappa leaves in the water would help with them healing a lot too
I’ll try it out and let you know the results! Thank you!!

stevencere

Reaction score
I’ll try it out and let you know the results! Thank you!!
So far so good! New water, catalpa leaves, and new bacteria! Mucus is looking much better

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1