Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl gills looking weird?

bananapajamas

Reaction score
0715202037.jpg

This is Dr. Shrunk, I've had her for about 4 years. She's always had small gills, but I noticed the back of her gills are oddly textured? Nothing has changed in the tank recently, so I'm not sure if it's normal?

bananapajamas

Reaction score
Hi

What are the following...
temp?
pH?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
GH and KH if you know?
do you add any salt, Johns or Holtfreters solution?

well I found the problem... her pH is sitting at 6.2. everything else is normal. I did a 50% water change, the pH out of the faucet is 7.8, but the water is still sitting at 6. Are there any recommended products for raising the pH? I've never had a low pH issue before. Thank you!

It looks like she's shedding her slime coat.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Do you have botanicals like driftwood etc in your tank?

I'd recommend 50% daily until you get it back up to at least 7.2

you can buy Seachem Neutral Regulator to help as a quick fix but I still recommend the water changes to fix the base reason.

Making Johns or holtfreters will help your axolotls health - I can post my johns handout its the easiest to make

bananapajamas

Reaction score
Do you have botanicals like driftwood etc in your tank?

I'd recommend 50% daily until you get it back up to at least 7.2

you can buy Seachem Neutral Regulator to help as a quick fix but I still recommend the water changes to fix the base reason.

Making Johns or holtfreters will help your axolotls health - I can post my johns handout its the easiest to make

I had a large piece of driftwood in there but I took it out a few days ago because it was growing... something? It looked like algae but was very slimy and smelly, and I wasn't sure if that was a bad thing or not?

I would love the John's solution, if you don't mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1