Axolotl gills shrinking when in fridge

I see all normal pigmentation - do not treat with anything.

Hi @Murk
I’m really happy to know that I’m doing right. Cleared all my confusion. These are my black axi’s photos. I think it turned more “white” since I got it. Even its “nose” appears! But I mostly concern about the pigment under its left arm because it looks more white and big than the others. Sorry couldn’t take better photo because it moves all the time, looking for food (I’ve just fed them, 2 cubes of frozen bloodworms for 2 axis per day).
View attachment 85505View attachment 85506View attachment 85507

@Ranypizzy

I'm glad your axolotls are improving. Just keep an eye on them, keep doing what you're doing. @Murk 's point about the cycling process is accurate. The filter itself does not do the converting of ammonia to nitrites, then nitrites to nitrates. It's the beneficial bacteria that develops in the filter. They're a much more complex system then just "machine filters water." That was something I needed to learn and I regret not understanding it soon.

Thank you all for your advices ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back