Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Gills SOS

MuggleMiChu

Reaction score
I just got an axolotl a few weeks ago from a local pet store and it’s gills are in really bad shape. When I got it, it’s gills were non-existent and they’re not getting any better. The lotl is in a 20 gallon with a 30 gallon filter on low flow and a fan. Their tank has moss balls, two hides, a stone slab, and two fake plants (they are lotl safe). The tank is 62 degrees and I do 25% water changes weekly. The lotl eats very well (hand-fed frozen blood worms) and is generally energetic, but they do come up for air frequently and are underweight. I haven’t tried any tea baths or anything like that. The gills aren’t getting better what should I do?

(The light is only on so I could take a picture of the tank)

Attachments

• 4C4C9B7F-70C7-487A-847A-AF4ABC9BFD89.jpeg
    4C4C9B7F-70C7-487A-847A-AF4ABC9BFD89.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 8A890249-5D99-4489-B775-E05673E92315.jpeg
    8A890249-5D99-4489-B775-E05673E92315.jpeg
    976.5 KB · Views: 186

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Hi

Did you fully cycle your tank prior to the axolotl being introduced

Are you testing the water for pH, High range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate using liquid test kits?

What water conditioners or additives are you using?

MuggleMiChu

Reaction score
I used rosy red minnows and SafeStart to cycle the tank, I had it cycling for 4 weeks. I use AquaSafe water conditioner and no other additives. I have been using testing strips, which I know are are not ideal, and I’m in the process of getting a master test kit. I was also wondering if switching to earthworms or red wrigglers would help? And should I add a bubbler to increase oxygen levels?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Awesome

I would look at adding some Aquarium/Pickling salt or make Johns or holtfreters solution. All 3 will help gill health but you can only use 1.
straight salt is 1 tbsp per 5-10g. Johns Solution is 20% as preventive up to 40% for treatment but never more than a few days at that concentration.

MuggleMiChu

Reaction score
It would be very helpful if you find the handout, if you don’t that’s okay too! Thanks for the help!

lionfish12

Reaction score
Hi

Did you fully cycle your tank prior to the axolotl being introduced

Are you testing the water for pH, High range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate using liquid test kits?

What water conditioners or additives are you using?

Hi,
I was wondering if you had any axolotis for sale? Thanks!

lionfish12

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a small axolotis a couple of days ago and have tried feeding worms to it but it is not eating. Any advice would be appreciated. How long can they go without eating? Thanks!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Have you tried pellets?
Have you tries dipping the worms in hot water first?
Or dipping in fresh garlic juice?
Cutting them up smaller?

Hi,
I just got a small axolotis a couple of days ago and have tried feeding worms to it but it is not eating. Any advice would be appreciated. How long can they go without eating? Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!