Question: Axolotl growing too fast?

raizou

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got Luna, a GFP leucistic axolotl on march 20 and it was 1.5 inches long. As of today, she's just under 9 inches and i just switched it to feeding every other day. She has been strictly fed on pellet food Hikari Carnivore pellets which is min 47% crude protein. Is it okay for the body to be growing this fast?!? Can future problems arise from the intense growing? I never fed her earthworms before, just a couple cubes of bloodworms when I first got her. Any suggestions or comments?

It's normal for them to grow to adult size in the first year, and it is very difficult to over feed a growing juvenile. I would add some live or blanched earthworm to the diet for variety and mental stimulation. I like to make them work for their food on occasion to keep them sharp. :p

It's also based on genetics. Out of my 9 (same age and who are all fed at the same time and amount) they vary by a couple of inches now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back