Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl having spasm/seizures :(

melinajulia

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been following this forum a lot since I got Florencio last October. Amazing tips and info. So thanks a lot!!
I'm posting for the first time because I woke up this morning with my leucitic started showing signs of spasms, like seizures. Nothing changed in the last 2 months (when I added some marimo balls to his tank). Water temperature and parameters are within the normal spectrum (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates, 18 degrees). He is been eating normally (one earthworm every 2 days), he is in a good mood (approaches when I'm near the tank, swims around, gills doesn't seem curved). I saw a couple of days ago some movements that resembled hiccups (kind of when he is "vacumming" blodworms), when he was jumping on the place a bit 4 or 5 times in a row. But what I saw today is absolutely new and seems more intense. I'm attaching two super short videos so it's clear. I know it looks like he scared himself when you see just one but it has being doing like that on and off during the whole day, even while swimming. Is like this spam and then he goes back to what he was going (he is not swimming around fast or anything like that).

I'm thinking of doing a big 75% water change just in case... although the metrics doesn't show anything weird and I change 25% of the water every week.

Did anyone had a similar situation? Any advice? I checked with the breeder and he told me "is normal, not to worry" but I research online a lot and I'm having a super hard time finding any info about it so I don't think is THAT normal. It doesn't look comfortable and breaks my heart to see him spamming like this :(

Thanks a lot in advance for any info you can provide!

Attachments

• 36C03538-ED09-4560-965D-36299F320218-45253-000014E6621026EB.mov
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DF8368BD-60FD-4F10-95F1-F901DA6B972F-45253-000014E78405428D.mov
    7.1 MB · Views: 0

EllieWind

Reaction score
To me it looks like a feeding response. Does he seem to do it more when you're in the room, or could there be something moving like a bubbler he might be reacting to? My axolotls will occasionally snap like that when I enter the room around feeding time, kinda like they're reminding me that they're hungry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1