Axolotl isn’t eating and she’s panic swimming

Day

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been an Axolotl parent for 7 years. I hAve a golden Axolotl and a leucistic one. I’ve had my golden Axolotl for 4-5 years and since Ive gotten her, she has consistently given me problems. Recently my tank had a really big spike in nitrate problems; it’s the worst it’s ever been. I had grass pads in there previous, but it was holding all of the waste which was causing the spike so I removed them. Had to do a 75% water change, let it cycle and the levels are good. However, my golden Axolotl has been panic swimming ever since I put her in there not too long ago.
The pH is 7, the nitrate is 0, ammonia 0 and nitrite 0.
She hasn’t eaten in 2 weeks and I’m afraid she’s at her wits ends. I’ve tried force feeding her Axolotl pellets and she just spits them up.

What do I even do in this case??
Side not: my other Axolotl is doing perfectly fine, her gills are perfect and she’s eating fine.

have you been using holtfreters or modified in the water ?, I assume you would be because of being a long time owner. if so which version ?
have you replaced the grass with anything else or is it now bare bottom.
what issues were you having with her.
do you have any hides/caves that she hides in during the day.
have you tried her on other food.

have you been using holtfreters or modified in the water ?, I assume you would be because of being a long time owner. if so which version ?
have you replaced the grass with anything else or is it now bare bottom.
what issues were you having with her.
do you have any hides/caves that she hides in during the day.
have you tried her on other food.
Hello, I was informed by an Axolotl breeder not to use holtfreters, so I returned what I had bought to the store before I even used any. I did not replace the grass YET; currently it is a bare bottom.
Currently the issues I’m seeing is that she hasn’t eaten in 2 weeks, has lost all of her gill hairs (if that’s what you wanna call it) and she was swimming all around the tank all night until earlier this morning.
Ive given her smushed up Axolotl pellets in a syringe and she’s a very very picky eater so I only give her live night crawlers which both Axolotl’s have been eating since I purchased them.

why was you told not to use holtfreters solution?

this is written under the assumption that you have at the minimum a liquid freshwater test kit
whats the ph read by using the normal ph and the high range ph.
what are you nitrogen levels ie.. ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.
what is the temperature in the tank.
what are the salinity levels.
if you can test what are the kh/gh levels.
is there at least one air-stone in the water providing additional oxygen.
does the tank contain any plants.
what is the size of the tank and how often do you do water changes.
by removing the fake grass you also removed part of your biological filtration, please make sure your filtration is able to cope with the addition stress put on it, might be a good idea to supplement the filter bacteria with some bottle bacteria. I assume with them both being over 4-5 years they will both be about 12+ which is a lot of waste to cope with.
it sounds like your axolotl is sensitive to ammonia and nitrite as the description you are giving is one of caustic damage.
please read https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-s...ive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 11/24-26fox.pdf and https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-s...Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf

this is written under the assumption that you have at the minimum a liquid freshwater test kit
by removing the fake grass you also removed part of your biological filtration, please make sure your filtration is able to cope with the addition stress put on it, might be a good idea to supplement the filter bacteria with some bottle bacteria. I assume with them both being over 4-5 years they will both be about 12+ which is a lot of waste to cope with.
it sounds like your axolotl is sensitive to ammonia and nitrite as the description you are giving is one of caustic damage.
please read https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 11/24-26fox.pdf and https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf
All water level readings are in my original post. I have a 40 gallon filter for a 40 gallon tank, so i didn’t think it would be necessary for air stones. Too much movement throughout the tank will stress out Axolotl’s.
There’s no plants. I was told by multiple Axolotl breeders that in order for nitrate levels to go down WITH PLANTS, the whole tank would need to filled up with them to the point where the Axolotl’s wouldn’t even be able to swim around (3 little plants just wasn’t gonna help)
The temperature reads 60F consistently.

why was you told not to use holtfreters solution?
Honestly, I don’t remember. I asked the person I got my Axolotl’s from (who is one of the most well known, educated Axolotl breeders on here) a while ago about it and they told me not to do it. Also, because they’ve been in fresh water so long (being 7 years), wouldn’t this only make things worse by adding salt?

Last edited:
please read https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 11/24-26fox.pdf and https://ambystoma.uky.edu/genetic-stock-center/newsletters/Older_archive/Issues-1-12/archive/Issue 3/09-16brothers.pdf
Also, my ammonia and nitrite levels were never a problem. They always read 0. Not to mention both Axolotl’s are in the same tank. My OTHER Axolotl is doing good as stated previously. She just ate and her gills are thriving as per usual.

Last edited:
bacteria would have built up on the fake grass removing/converting the ammonia and nitrites as well as the filter, by removing the fake grass your biological filtration will be reduced.
good oxygenation of the water is required by the axolotls and the filter bacteria, the filter bacteria can deplete a aquarium of oxygen so having more put in is always helpful.
air-stones create an upward draft movement as opposed to a pressured water movement.
plants help to remove all nitrogen compounds not just nitrates as well as excess nutrients in the water, you would only need a tank full if they are expected to replace the role of the filter.
to be going around the tank at night searching for food is normal as they are mostly nocturnal, but to be refusing food and still swimming erratically means there is some issue with the water, plus for her to be loosing gill filaments means there is definitely a problem somewhere.
how are you measuring the ammonia etc.. how high were the nitrate before doing a 75% water change, the lowest a test goes before zero is 5% which would be 20% before change which isn't that high. were multiple changes done? what water dechlorinator/conditioner did you use?
have you tried any other food besides pellets and worms?
I know it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions and probably stating the obvious but I am trying to go through everything to try and work out the best way of helping your axolotl.

bacteria would have built up on the fake grass removing/converting the ammonia and nitrites as well as the filter, by removing the fake grass your biological filtration will be reduced.
good oxygenation of the water is required by the axolotls and the filter bacteria, the filter bacteria can deplete a aquarium of oxygen so having more put in is always helpful.
air-stones create an upward draft movement as opposed to a pressured water movement.
plants help to remove all nitrogen compounds not just nitrates as well as excess nutrients in the water, you would only need a tank full if they are expected to replace the role of the filter.
to be going around the tank at night searching for food is normal as they are mostly nocturnal, but to be refusing food and still swimming erratically means there is some issue with the water, plus for her to be loosing gill filaments means there is definitely a problem somewhere.
how are you measuring the ammonia etc.. how high were the nitrate before doing a 75% water change, the lowest a test goes before zero is 5% which would be 20% before change which isn't that high. were multiple changes done? what water dechlorinator/conditioner did you use?
have you tried any other food besides pellets and worms?
I know it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions and probably stating the obvious but I am trying to go through everything to try and work out the best way of helping your axolotl.
I’m using the API fresh water masterkit.
Ammonia was 0 and always has been 0, I make sure of that every week. Nitrate levels were 160, they are now 0. I am using Prime water conditioner. There’s seriously no problems with the water, it’s just the Axolotl herself now.
She’s no longer panic swimming, she’s moving around normally again, but still won’t eat. She swims away from her food

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back