Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl jumped off the tank. Arched back and wounds.

wolfen

Reaction score
Thanks.

I don't have marine salt at the moment and I don't think I'll be able to get some till Monday, but I'll try to get some as soon as possible. In the meantime, do you have any other suggestions? Also: why fridging is a last resort? I'd like to know, so I can understand what I'm doing and what not. I've been surfing the internet intensively but couldn't find much info, and being at my workplace I'm kind of overloaded with all this situation; sorry.
when you fridge a axolotl it will cool them down and slow the metabolism down allowing them more time to heal. unfortunately it can slow it down to much and cause their organs to shut down, hence why I say as a last resort and theres nothing else to try.
tubbing in shallow cold dechlorinated water will help right now as the floating needs to be dealt with. all other treatments apart from tea baths would require being brought from shops and not something people have around the house. having a look online and you can use one tea bag per ten litres water and allow the axolotl to be tubbed with it changing every 24hrs info here Axolotl Tea Bath - Almond Leaves, Leaf, How To

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1