Axolotl lakes in Montana

Very interesting. Can they be called axolotls if they aren't mole salamanders? Does this mean there is now two species of axolotls?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

No these are just neotenic populations of tiger salamanders.I find it interesting how they're able to out compete larger pretadors like fish.

That is very interesting. Stuff like this, and the axolotls of xochimilco, is part of why I want to be a wildlife biologist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Neotenic Tiger salamanders are not uncommon, actually they are quite common from my understanding.

given these creatures are nearly indistinguishable from the axolotls of Mexico.

I don't agree with that at all. They are very easily distinguished from axolotls by range alone.

It is however very interesting that they out compete fish, usually its the other way around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back