Illness/Sickness: Axolotl larvae suddenly dying off- Urgent help needed!!!

Demodex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My axolotl laid her first batch of eggs a few weeks ago. I moved the spawn to a separate tank for hatching, and housed the tank with a few plants for them. Out of the 200+ eggs that she laid, just over half of them hatched.
For the first 2 weeks or so after hatching, the larvae seemed to be thriving! I hatched and fed them baby brine shrimp, which seemed to be working out great.

However, within the last week tragedy seems to have struck, as I came home to find half of the axies had dropped dead! I moved the survivors to a separate container and completely cleaned out the tank, but every day more and more just seem to be dying off. I have no idea what the problem could be. I changed the water daily, had a heater for constant temperatures, made sure the shrimp were well-rinsed and that there was enough food to go around. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong?

I have only a handful of larvae left, but they seem to be quite lifeless. They aren't swimming around much or even eating the food I give them. Is there anything I can do to save them?
Thanks in advance.

What's your temp at? It could be they're too hot. I wouldn't have them over 65 or so, as anything close to 70 degrees and over can stress and kill them.

You mentioned a heater and that may be the culprit.

Best of luck and hope the others make it!

The temp was around 65, it was the lowest that heater would go I think.
I removed the heater a few days ago, when collecting the surviving axies. Should I not put it back in then?
Thanks for the reply!

65 is about as high as I would have them.

Is your water adequately dechlorinated? That would cause big problems as well.

Sorry I can't be much more help! :(

Okay, thanks.

Yes, I purchased some aquarium dechlorinator back when I first got my adult axies, and it has worked no problem for them. I've heard the larvae could be much more sensitive to things like that?

And no worries, I appreciate your help!

Hey i had the same problem with 17 of my axies, they were great for 6 weeks then they all went really grey with ice white gills, became frozen and died, i never did find out what happened to them but i suspect as i kept them in the same container but with dividers in, they all got ill through the water, are yours in seperate tubs?
i would seperate them if possible

Thanks! I checked out that article the other day, I did notice the tail-curling in a lot of the axies.

And I just have serveral plants for aeration, I was told they would supply adequate oxygen for the axies, plus places to hide. I'm thinking it might be smarter to get an airstone too?

Layna- I'm sorry to hear about that! I saw that in mine too, they went grey and curled up a little before they died. It was quite heartbreaking... :( And no, mine were all kept in the one tank. I think that might have caused a few problems..

Yes i think if mine ever laid eggs in the future i would defiantly keep them in separate containers :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back