axolotl morphing help!

AxolotlJude

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axolotl cobblestone is a happy healthy axolotl except for a arm that looked broken but it has been month and it still looks like that , but recently coming home from a 30 day vacation ( I had someone make sure it was fed, don't worry) I saw something strange. It's gill were shrinking and it was developing eyelids. in the last few day it's dorsal fin was shrinking. I know it is hard on them to morph, so it there any way to help his wellness during this time?

Last edited:
The most common thing that people do is to slowly lower the water level and offer a land area for when the axolotl is ready to crawl. It is worrying because of the stress the axolotl has, so I have just heard that making the light dimmer and water cooler relieves stress and makes the axie more comfortable. And a full belly also makes the axolotl more happy!

just got a bunch of minnows and he seems to be ok. I am adding some land now. thanks! I think the cause was the access iodine in chicago water

by the way does cloudy eyes have to do with anything about morphing?

I do know that a lot happens to the Axolotl's eyes when morphing, like eyelids growing and bulging... So yes I believe that a bit of clouding can happen when transferring. Also I am very glad that he seems to be doing better, and hopefully he will form his lungs and try crawling on land soon.

cobblestone's eyes are bulging and his face is changing. it is so obvious and I will post pictures as soon as possible!

Last edited:
anyone who is reading this my axolotl died this morning. do not put them through this!

Oh no! That is terrible, I have heard terrible stories of axolotls passing away when trying to morph. I am very sorry. It is a painful and stressful process and I with that the survival rate was higher. Poor thing.

I'm sorry if my advice about adding land to the tank stressed out the little guy. I heard that offering land gives the axie the availability to crawl when ready. Poor Cobblestone. I know that some people intentionally make axolotls morph by injecting them with chemicals, but because of the stress and chance of perishing, I don't completely understand why they do it.

i'm so sorry to hear that :( i wish i has messaged back sooner.

You mention something about high levels of iodine in Chicago water. Is this actually the case, and if so, how do other axie owners in Chicago manage the situation?

You mention something about high levels of iodine in Chicago water. Is this actually the case, and if so, how do other axie owners in Chicago manage the situation?
Iodine does not cause morphing. Its protonated iodine which is used to morph axolotl. Its unlikely to be in a water supply.

Iodine does not cause morphing. Its protonated iodine which is used to morph axolotl. Its unlikely to be in a water supply.
Thank you for the clarification, which makes way more sense. The idea that Chicago's water was morphing axies certainly didn't sound right to me ... I'm sure people do manage to keep axies successfully in Chicago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back