Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl morphs/breeding

DaisyFlower

Reaction score
Alrighty, I have a few questions when it comes to eggs. I’ve noticed these forums are a bit dead at the moment so hopefully someone replies!
Okay, so I was just wondering... can a female wild axolotl lay eggs containing a golden/leucistic/albino baby? All i’ve seen is wilds, coppers or melanoids and I was just wondering if it was possible for them to lay a lighter egg if they breed with a light father.

the

Reaction score
hello, it isn't possible to create a mix of morphs in a single axolotl. Axolotls can carry different genes, for example if a golden and a leucistic axolotl the offspring could produce golden and leucistic babies. If you want a clutch of babies with a wider variety of morphs then i recommend breading her with a male with morphs of parents. If you want lighter wild type babies then I recommend breeding her with a lighter wild type.

Hope this helps😃😃

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Alrighty, I have a few questions when it comes to eggs. I’ve noticed these forums are a bit dead at the moment so hopefully someone replies!
Okay, so I was just wondering... can a female wild axolotl lay eggs containing a golden/leucistic/albino baby? All i’ve seen is wilds, coppers or melanoids and I was just wondering if it was possible for them to lay a lighter egg if they breed with a light father.
I'm by no means an expert, but I've been looking into axolotl genetics myself recently. The simple answer (with many caveats) is yes, it is possible, but only if the wild type is het for those morphs. To know whether or not she is, you'd either have to know her parentage or breed her with a suitable match to find out. The genes that create wildtypes are dominant, so they always show if present, but the genes for albinos are recessive, meaning that they can be carried by a parent and only show up in offspring with another recessive-carrying parent. If, for example, your wildtype was A/a (capital letter refers to the dominant, non-albino gene affecting the albinism trait and lower case refers to the recessive gene that causes albanism) and not A/A (meaning that it did not inherit any albino genes from its parents), you could end up with some albino babies if the father was either A/a or a/a.

Note, not ALL the babies would be albino; at least some of them would be non-albino because the mother's A would pass down. The babies inherit one from both sides, so half of the mother's babies would inherit her A gene and the other half would inherit the a. Same for the father. If the father is A/a, you would get less albinos (babies who get the a from both sides), probably only about 25%, and if he's a/a (only able to pass down the recessive gene), you would have more, closer to around 50% of the clutch.

The gene that causes leucism is often referred to by the letter "d," with D being the dominant, non-leucistic trait. A wild type is either D/D or D/d. Once more, if it carries the recessive "d," and is bred with a father who also carries or displays it, you would get at least some leucistic babies. The same math applies as above.

If you've bred her in the past with albino or leucistic fathers and failed to produce any babies of these morphs, it is probably safe to say that she would be homozygous for both A/A and D/D.

Last edited:

JM29

Reaction score
can a female wild axolotl lay eggs containing a golden/leucistic/albino baby?
Yes, and I agree with the and AMurry24537.
I was just wondering if it was possible for them to lay a lighter egg if they breed with a light father.
No. The color of the egg depends only on the mother. The embryo will afterwards begin to get its own colors a few days before hatching.
For example, albino embryos from a wild-type female are dark first and become brownish before hatching, due to the melanin from the mother passed in the egg. They will lighten layer. Albino embryos from an albino mother are very light.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1