Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not using back legs/tail - Paralysis? Other causes? Help :(

ausaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi all, new here but quite concerned for little Rex. In the last two days, Rex has stopped using his back legs. He has continually been flipping onto his back in his tank, often leading to him thrashing and struggling to flip back.

His back legs are twisted backwards and not moving at all, also not responding at all to being touched.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? We’ve removed him from the tank to a smaller bucket (with water from the tank) to avoid him being hindered by and objects in the tank. After reading any vaguely related posts already on here, some quick points which may be relevant;
- there are no small stones in his tank, so a blockage is unlikely
- he seems to be pooping normally
- he hasn’t eaten since we noticed this, last feed was ~6 days ago (is fed frozen ‘axolotl food’, have been no issues with feeding in the past, sometimes refuses food but usually not for long. Usual stuff)
- tank was cleaned approximately 1 week ago from today (~ 8 days ago)

I’ve attached photos of him and a video showing his movement (or lack thereof)
D0C0EBFC-D14B-4A71-BDB1-663CE6E06937.jpeg
790C49E6-42C4-4E63-B5EE-8D1C3BE52896.jpeg

ausaxolotl

Reaction score
Adding questions:
Could these issues be from constipation/impaction?
Should we try fridging? We’re getting pretty worried.

Purchased an ammonia test kit. Tank came in low, bucket he’s in not (was put into past night with tank water) came in between 0.5-1 ppmL. Does this mean he has pooped as the waste has increased the ammonia levels?

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that ☹

Given the circumstances and timing, I don't know that there's much you could have done differently, if that's any comfort. Sometimes all the experience and research in the world isn't enough to save our little buddies. Hugs!

ausaxolotl

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that ☹

Given the circumstances and timing, I don't know that there's much you could have done differently, if that's any comfort. Sometimes all the experience and research in the world isn't enough to save our little buddies. Hugs!
Thank you for the reassurance 💕 He was likely around 11 years old, so maybe it was just his time?

Very upset because we had an unusual vet appointment for this afternoon and he just didn’t quite make it :( it’ll suck not knowing what happened

mindymayhem

Reaction score
This looks a lot like MBD in reptiles, to me, so I looked it up, and axolotls do indeed get a form of metabolic bone disease, as well. Though I see from the comments that he was an older guy, and the back legs go out on a lot of animals, in old age, so I'm not sure we will be able to provide many answers, considering he has passed. I'm sorry for your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!