Axolotl Planted Tank?

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is it A good idea to try a planted tank for my axolotl? I'm thinking something with riccia moss and driftwood. I have two in a 50 gallon thank is in a really sunny area, and I was hoping to set up a planted tank there. Any feedback would help thanks.:bowl:

Hi! As long as its low light plants. :) I have a walstad tank that's working wonderful. If its sunny all the time make sure the plants are thick and they have hides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I get all my plants from Peabody's paradise.com. I have lace fern, some floating plants, java ferns, Anubias...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I think java moss would work better for attaching to wood, as it grows fast and does well in most water conditions and low light. Riccia usually only grows fast if kept floating, and if its at the bottom of the tank, I believe it needs CO2 injection and high lighting to get decent growth results.

if I try a walstad tank, could I try riccia moss? I like the look of riccia moss and maybe some tall leafy plants, java fern anubias and others... would riccia moss work in a walstad tank with axolotls?

My axies absolutely love real plants, I will never go back to fake plants. They really make the tank look great.. They love sitting on big leaves, swimming through soft plants like cabomba (however you spell it). I adore this plant so much as it's so pretty but my little babies love pulling it up. I'm still yet to find how to keep the plants alive. My Anubis and "sword" plant have lasted months without decaying, however some plants haven't quite worked for me even though they are " low light cold water " and I'm very hesitant to put in fertilizers as I've heard they're toxic to axolotls... I think it's just trial and error.. Just remember to quarantine the plants to prevent nasties coming in and hurting your axolotls.

Wouldn't this look awesome with some axies climbing the steps? would it even work?

Attachments

• 3680.jpg
    3680.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13,848
I imagine that something like that would do fine with axolotls. Obviously it would need enough space for hides and whatnot, but I think that would make an awesome axolotl tank.

Two plants I would recomend are elodea and hornwort, both do well in axolotl tanks . They are resistant to damage and can be left free floating to stop the axolotls digging them up. Both do well in lowish light levels but if you give them additional tank lighting they thrive, you will end up composting lots lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back