Axolotl poopie?

For 5-6 axolotls, I would suggest at least a 6 foot tank. I keep 3 adults in a 4 foot tank.

Stipe, just because they're laying spermatophores doesn't mean they're 'happy'.

My tank has been set up for over a month now, and Stella has probably been in there about 3-4 weeks.

Test results:
PH - 7.2

Ammonia - 0
I have an ammonia block in there aswell as some frozen brine shrimp, which is probably why the level is so low - is this correct?

Nitrite - 2.0

Nitrate - 5.0

I just got my tax return estimate back so in about 5 weeks or so, when I can work out my budget I might buy a bigger tank and let it cycle following those procedures, but until then Stella is back in her tank - I put the cold water that she was in back in her tank, after removing some of the warmer water, so the temperature levels wouldn't be so different, but I probably should've left her out for a while - read the post after I put her back in the tank.

I can't leave her in the fridge b/c my parents are getting annoyed at her being in there.

Her gills seem to have grown a bit longer also. What does that mean?

I also took the nitra-zorb pack out. The above readings were just done and the nitra-zorb pack has been out for two days.

Any more advice would be welcome.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any advice on my water readings?

see above - thanks!

Hi Casey, visit the link here:

http://axolotls.org/requirements.htm

I would put your little Axie in a bucket with declorinator with daily water changes, or another water-safe container and cycle your tank for another week or two, test the water conditions, and if the readings are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrite: 0.0 - 20

Then you are good to go
happy.gif

Follow your tank cycling with weekly tank cleaning and water maintenance, remove any un-eaten food or waste as soon as you can and do 20 - 25% water change weekly.

If you can, keep your axie in her temporary container in your room or some where safe and covered so that she won't upset your parents. My Husband's uncle moved in with us a year ago, and he hates it when I keep my Axolotls in the fridge but sometimes it can't be helped.

Hope this help
happy.gif

Thanks Rheann - I've read that link - I want to buy a new tank soon so I'll make sure I cycle it first and follow all the directions.

Meanwhile, I'll move Stella to a bucket.

I'll have to buy some dechlorinator.

Thanks for your help!

Hey Casey, Try and get some Declorinator called Stress Coat. I believe most people here at the Forum use it, I use it. It has Aloe in it, it's very good for Axies with their slime coats
happy.gif
. Or if you can't get it, try and get some Amqual+

It lacks the Aloe but is safe for Axies
happy.gif

thanks Rheann!

I have another question - is it okay to hand feed by putting my hand in the water? I have been doing this, after washing my hands, but I'm worried that maybe there is some bacteria on my hands or oil that might affect Stella's water.

What do you think?

yes its fine! wash your hands throughly with just water before, or if you do use soap make sure all traces are gone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back