Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl quarantine? Size difference?

Creepella

Reaction score
Today I bought a third axolotl. Right now it's in a 10 gal tank on its own. I'm not in a huge rush to move it to join my other two axies in the big tank, since I'm guessing it's a good idea to quarantine it for a while. I'm not expecting problems, as one of my other axies comes from the same home breeder and it's in great health.

A couple of questions for when I add the new one to the tank with the others:

First of all, how long should a new axie be quarantined for?

Second question: how close in size do they need to be in order to live peacefully together? My two in the big tank are 6 inches long. The newbie is 4 inches. Right now I'm planning to wait to move the new one until it's close to the same size as the others (within an inch or so).

Swag

Reaction score
A month is the recommended quarantine time for most new aquatic pets.
Most axolotls stop growing as fast at 6-7" so the new guy should catch up sooner than later. I'd say do it when you're comfortable with the idea of doing it. They don't need to be exactly the same size, just big enough to not be swallowed whole!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!