Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Question in Health and Tankmates (New)

Oceanpup

Reaction score
Hi! I recently received a 55 gal aquarium with two lotls in it (Both about a year old) a couple days ago from a previous owner who couldn’t take care of them any longer. However, last night while checking on the dark lotl’s lips (they seemed discolored like an off white) I saw some sort of spiny eel (I think a half-banded eel) coming into view from out of the substrate. After seeing the unexpected addition, I reached out to the owner to inquire about it and he said it’s been in there for 6 months with no issues and that he’s placed several critters in there (snails, betta fish, and guppies) throughout the year as well (I got the feeling that the prior owner did it as part of an experiment for finding potential tank mates).

However, as I’m a huge nerd when it comes to animal husbandry, literature and common sense are telling me that the current tank mates for the lotls are a huge no no for a multitude of reasons (spiny eels have venomous spines and are nocturnal, directly competing with the lotl’s eating habits?) on this forum and others alike, what do I do with this unintended addition? I get the feeling that it’s still there, being elusive as an accident waiting to happen or is that my paranoia? The last owner said it’s fine, but I don’t want to end up with a dead or injured lotl in the future. Attached below are the two the lotls (I believe one is a Lucy the male, and the other is a melanoid a female) and the weird skinny fish in question. Any advice on how to remove the skinny eel from the tank would be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you!

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Don’t know how to answer this, I would assume take the eel out with a large net. Commenting to bump this back up the the top!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!