Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Research Ideas?

Stone

Reaction score
I am currently in my second semester of undergraduate school and each semester we have a large interdisciplinary project. This semester is to research and find where more research needs to be done on any biological topic. We can simply propose the next step research wise or actually conduct research of our own. I hope to be a future axie owner anyways so I've been looking into any "experiment" I could conduct myself. I do not have lab equipment or extra. Any ideas would have to be something accessible. I have thought of using plants to see if it increases development of gills. Obviously anything on regeneration is not going to happy I do not have the equipment or the will to cut of limbs of an animal. The project could be survey like, really anything. Any ideas would be sooo helpful, Thank you =]

DeCypher

Reaction score
You could see how they react to different levels of light. You could see if certain foods can make them behave differently. You can experiment with temperature. There are lots of different things, as long as it doesn't harm the Axolotl.

~Have fun! :D

Minniechild

Reaction score
One thing that would be of MAJOR help to us aussies is finding out (as psychopathic suggested) about temperature... specifically, what temperature do they start to become adversely affected (e.g. sick, not looking overly well, agitated, lethargic) and how occupied water quality changes with temperature?
Good luck with it!! :D

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
Maybe you could research how genders get along. I feel like my girls get along much better than my boys, however if i put a certain female with any male, the boy gets picked on.

Also how they act on different substates; bare bottom, sand or large rock. Do they seem happier on one thing than the other.

Light is a good idea, as you could research lots of different lighting. Natural light, no light, bright light, actinic or black light, could be interesting.
Emily

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!