Axolotl Size Difference

traveling_lotls

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello ! I am new to owning axolotls. I have two little fellas. A white one that is 10 cm and then I got a gold one from another shop ( they were selling them between 10 cm and 15 cm) so... may not have been the best idea. The gold one is 12 cm. At first I thought their size difference can't be that bad because 2 cm was something they describes as alright in another forum. But I am still worried the gold one could harm the smaller lad. Sometimes they lay next to each other peacefully but I worry the gold one could bite him by accident or even swallow him whole tho I think the white one would be too big for him to handle. Should I seperate them - has anybody made some experiences with such a size difference?

Are 2 cm too much in this case. I am thankful for any device. They are together for some days and nothing happend and both are happily exploring the tank but when I look at them together I fear the gold on might be bigger than expected (tho I measure him,he is really 12 cm).

Greeting
Kristin.
20201023_201321.jpg

There is a risk at that size - Some lotls are more nippy until 6" so there is a risk.

Also Its generally a be cautious to have lotls under 5-6" on sand as it can be an impaction risk.

Alright so I probably need to seperate them till the smaller ones are bigger.
The ground is not sand it's gravel, I read it's alright when it's rounded and small like 1 mm - 3 mm.

Thanks for your advices !

My personal experience: I had a axolotl, the newest one was separated until I saw he wasn't getting any bigger. Since my first one is a 30cm monster, I had to move the other one in (he was like 20cm).
They never bit each other and I never had any problem. I think it's different for each axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back