Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl slime coat peeling

sebguy

Reaction score
I've been treating my axolotl for about 3 days with pimafix, and ive noticed that her slime coat is peeling,anyone with experience using the medication, is this meant to happen?
should i take my axolotl out?
She is in a sick tank apart from the others
and my local aquarium did recommend pimafix, in half doses, which i have been doing
Btw, pimafix is made by the same people who made melafix
here's a log of symptoms from past few days,
Day1.
put her in the sick tank fungus around neck and chin,did recommended dose(half dose)
she seemed fine at that point,
Day 2.
Slime coating around neck and chin-where fungus was, is beginning to peel, when she swims it comes off
1/3 of half dose
Day 3.
Slime coat around genitalia, top of body, and still chin/neck, with some peeling of skin around gills,
no dose
Her behaviors haven't really changed, but she does seem like is trying to shake off the peeling bits when she swims,
any ides of what could be wrong???

auntiejude

Reaction score
It's unusual for fungus to appear around the neck - it usually affects extremities first. Do you have a picture or did you get a confirmed diagnosis first? What made you go for Pimafix instead of other remedies?

Slime coat may come off with any treatment, but may also be as a result of stress. Again a picture may help with figuring out what is wrong.

Bette

Reaction score
I agree with auntie jude. I have never used pimafix on axies, but have on fish. I stopped using it on fish because it seemed to cause alot of stress.
If someone is certain that their axies have fungus starting, then I want to recommend two separate treatments that I have used many times successfully....
After doing a water change, try first adding and dissolving a slightly heaping half teaspoon sea salt per each new gallon of water you add to the tank. This should only have to be done a few times with each water change.
Or if that treatment doesn't work, one can try using kordon Rid-Fungus following the instructions on the label.
As I said, I have found these treatments safe and effective... otherwise I would never recommend them to others.

As far as your axie shedding its slime coat, it is probably reacting to the pimafix. Discontinue use right away and get her in plain water. See how she does for a week before doing anything else. If the tank is cycled and ready, I would try to get her back into her home she is used to.
Good luck!

sebguy

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response,
Unfortunately i don't have a camera that can pick up the peeling bits,
My local aquarium diagnosed it(this aquarium does keep axolotls and said that pimafix is the only thing they'd use on their axies)
The symptoms were stringy like fungus coming from her neck and gill slits.
they recommended either melafix or pimafix but based on the symptoms they recommended pimafix.
I've stopped dosing here, but have continued daily water changes.
She seems to be shaking off the peeing bits on her own, im probably going to return her to her normal tank soon, however i might wait a few days, as i do have another axolotl in her normal tank.
here is a link to the events leading up to this,
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be.../99693-axolotl-hasnt-been-eating-2-weeks.html

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
One thing I will mention is when people sell axolotls, they don't necessarily have the time to say take good care of them while they are sick, they just use solutions that are general fixes to everything hence primafix, and the API brand of medicinal solutions. Now this is your axie and if you notice things are not healing up, you have to make another call.

It seems not many of us are familiar with primafix. But I have this feeling a lot of the API products will be similar.

Because you do have a rare case, what are your thoughts where you want to either try taking it to a vet who likely will just antibiotics anyways or do you want to try something else?

It can take say 1 week or two of treatments to actually notice a real difference.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1