axolotl social depression??

Brainiac and Lex

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

So my lotl is getting better I think but I`m nonetheless curious if anyone else had this... We left on vacation for 4 days and had a lotl sitter come feed Lex, followed by feeding him a little extra and then going somewhere else for a couple days (we usually feed him 1/3 of a worm twice every day so this is a bit unusual for him), really he only missed one usual feeding (but definitely had plenty to run on).

Over the past while it sounds like he may have been fed a bit much (he was fed 1/2 to one red wriggler a day for the 4 days the sitter was over) at least compared to normal, his nitrates got a bit high and his water temp could be lower (not horrid but it`s stupid hard to keep it below 66ish in the summer even with a chiller), but that rarely has bothered him all that much. I replaced 40% of his water and might do it again shortly and will put him back on his regular diet of 1/3 red wriggler, but again I think what really bothered him might just be not seeing me or someone recognizable for a little while??

I`ve heard lotls know their owner`s and it certainly seems that way, I came back from vacation and the lil guy was a bit sluggish, but he piped up a little after spending a good amount of time staring at him and talking to him lol. It almost seems like I had to convince him I was back. I`ve read lotls are mostly independent and do ok on their own for the most part, but Lex seems to be quite the social guy and it really seems like that was the real reason he looked a bit sad :( has anyone else seen this? Have your lotls noticeably missed you? Lex has quite the personality even more than I expected, and again he seems to be coming around again and is eating fine etc but just curious if this was what was bothering the guy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back