Axolotl- Strange swollen abdomen

Kamaza

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Hello!
I'm staying and looking at my axolotl.. His abdomen is very swollen and I'm worryed about it.
This morning he was OK, but now.. you see. He ate before 20-25 minutes, but I'm not sure if he was with this big belly before that.
I gave him 2 small shrimps and nothing else.
Is there a problem ? For me- there is but I want to 'hear' your advices.
Thank you and sorry for my bad language.

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
He probably ate one of these small pebbles by accident. It's highly dangerous to place such small pebbles on axolotl tank, as it can be eating by mistake and cause severe problems, bc it doesn't pass through the digestive system.
I suggest you take out ALL small pebbles that are smaller than the axolotl head. Your options are to leave the tank bare bottom, or use very fine sand, or maybe place some big rocks that doesn't fit in his mouth.

Keep monitoring.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you leomleite! I tough he ate a small pebble. We will see. I'm going to look him several hours.

When I woke up I saw his belly was OK. I should take out all pebbles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back