Axolotl survival rate??

Duchessez

Reaction score
Country
United States
my one of my axies laid eggs almost a month and a half ago and as of right now i have roughly 500 baby axolotls and almost all of them started growing back legs and i was wondering if it is normal to get such a large amount of axies?

Giving a survival rate is nearly impossible.
They all do well because you gave them good care.
The problems will come soon, as they'll go on growing :
- overcrowding (see the housing page in axolotl.org)
- at about 2 inches : cannibalism, with big-headed cannibalistic individuals attacking the others

Perhaps you'll experience more losses as the'll grow.

With a few animals (about 10 for example) with enough space, the survival rate could be near 100%.

What are you planning to do with all these axies ?

Raising lots of axolotl is easy, selling them is the issue. With 500 to sell you need to look for several customer types. Private sales which generate the most revenue but will have a low uptake, direct sales to retail outlets which will take a higher volume at a lower rate and wholesalers who will take large volumes at a fraction of the retail value. I suggest you start sourcing buyers now as work and costs spiral fast with this amount of axys. Many people who raise this many axolotl regret it .Idk your local laws on commercial animal sales or prices so cant advise on that. Survival rates depend on the care provided and the parents genetics. A healthy batch with perfect care should be 95%, with a few being unfit and a few culls one mistake can cause a mass die off.

Attachments

• 414683BD-E8A1-4BD6-9BBE-766226740F67.jpeg
    414683BD-E8A1-4BD6-9BBE-766226740F67.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 463
Raising lots of axolotl is easy, selling them is the issue. With 500 to sell you need to look for several customer types. Private sales which generate the most revenue but will have a low uptake, direct sales to retail outlets which will take a higher volume at a lower rate and wholesalers who will take large volumes at a fraction of the retail value. I suggest you start sourcing buyers now as work and costs spiral fast with this amount of axys. Many people who raise this many axolotl regret it .Idk your local laws on commercial animal sales or prices so cant advise on that. Survival rates depend on the care provided and the parents genetics. A healthy batch with perfect care should be 95%, with a few being unfit and a few culls one mistake can cause a mass die off.
oh okay thank you

reputable, experienced breeders keep maybe 20-30 at a time. there is a reason for that.
last time i raised the eggs i got 35 that ended up living and i did the same care for this batch and i wasn’t expecting this much to survive

last time i raised the eggs i got 35 that ended up living and i did the same care for this batch and i wasn’t expecting this much to survive
the survival rate should honesly be about 95%. the 5% loss is often due to genetic abnormalities or mutations that cause growth to stop. Keeping 500 eggs to have only a few survive is a husbandry issue, not a genetic one. As others have said too, its not about how many you CAN raise, but how many you SHOULD raise to be sold. There are far too many axolotls flooding the market that it is difficult to find proper, healthy homes for each individual animal. Then you get into wholesale selling and you dont know if those animals are going to homes or to be used in research labs. I personally would never sell my animals in bulk not knowing where they are going to end up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back