Axolotl tail is cut

Manxolotl22

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I’ve had my axolotls for a while now and the white one has cuts on its tail. Not sure what they’re from. They have a hide and are fed well (night crawlers and leeches mostly). There are two aquarium plants in there (fake). Not sure how this happened. I haven’t seen them nibble or attack one another. They actually enjoy lounging on each other. Any help would be appreciated. On an unrelated note, is she too skinny or look healthy? The foggy parts aren’t dirt or anything. It’s just an old tank.

Attachments

• 55187697-5FD9-42D4-8E85-7214750BB6E2.jpeg
    55187697-5FD9-42D4-8E85-7214750BB6E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,630
  • AF257143-F131-43BB-A93E-DBC6CF1DE155.jpeg
    AF257143-F131-43BB-A93E-DBC6CF1DE155.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 309
She could have gotten spooked and hurt herself on the hides. The tank mate could also have taken a bite.

Just because they're usually friendly and relaxed doesn't mean they can't freak out every now and then. Even more, biting is a reflex. They can't help it - when something is moving erratically and slowly close to their mouths, they bite, even if it's a tank mate they're used to.
Usually, adult axolotls are strong and quick enough not to get hurt too badly from a tank mate biting.

This one seems slightly injured on multiple spots, so I'd put my money on it being from the decoration. She might have gotten spooked (for whatever silly reason) and trashed around the decorations.

If it doesn't happen too often, she'll be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back