Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Tail ripped

SirMinstral

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my axolotl for about 2 years and yesterday I noticed that my white one had a deep cut in its tail. Pics attached. There is a little bit of white inside the cut but I cant work out if it is just the axolotl or something else.

Water is extremely clean in the tank

Do I need to salt/fridge or will it be ok on its own to just heal naturally?

Pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpeg
    IMG_1701.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1702.jpeg
    IMG_1702.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 193

Axolotl Queen

Reaction score
Firstly do not fridge it. I would recommend removing it from the tank and putting in a container with some cool dechlorinated water, with 100% water change daily. This will ensure the water is clean which will reduce the risk of infection. The tail looks very red compared to what it normally is but this may be due to trauma. I would recommend keeping an eye on it. I believe it should heal by itself however, if depending how deep it is it may require further treatment. Wouldn't hurt to do a indian almond leaf bath to help with the healing process.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!