Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Toes

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my axolotl, Darwin, she has always had little black ends of her toes but now they're much more noticeable. I attached photos, can anyone tell me if she's ok? She's 2 years old and eats regularly and swims around, not lethargic at all. I just fed her a worm tonight, she snatched it immediately. It has been very hot in my area I've been putting cleaned ice packs in to cool her temp but I'm not always home and my parents refuse to do anything other than text me at work with "Darwin's tank is above 70" and I go "please put some ice or an ice pack in." They don't.

Please, any advice would help. She's in a 20 gallon tank, just cleaned her tank on Wednesday. I did get home yesterday and saw her floating up by the filter, it was around 3pm, and I freaked and thought she, you know, but she was just asleep, she woke up and started swimming around. Again, not lethargic at all. Please, are her toes injured? Could she have just smacked them while swimming? Will she just regrow them if they fall off?

Attachments

• 20200620_235705.jpg
    20200620_235705.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 391
  • 20200621_000154.jpg
    20200621_000154.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200621_000212.jpg
    20200621_000212.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200621_000409.jpg
    20200621_000409.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 217

Murk

Reaction score
Hi!
Coloured toe-tips are very normal for adult axolotls, and are often seen as an indication of maturity. It's likely they will continue to become darker at this age.

It could be it's a bit more noticeable because of the temperature. I wouldn't worry about the toes: she seems healthy and happy enough.

If you want to be absolutely sure, it always helps to give a recent measurement of ammonia/nitrites/nitrates values. 70 F is a bit higher than usually recommended, but nothing critical either. It's basically room temperature, right?

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Oh thank you for getting back to me! I appreciate it. So her toes are fine? Just a marker of age? That's good to know.

I could do an ammonia test, I just gotta get the stuff to do it. My area is just now reopening from the pandemic so it's been hard to get stuff for her. Her water is generally at room temperature. I inherited her from my best friend, who moved very far away. Her house didn't have air conditioning, nor does mine, so it does get very warm inside sometimes. We have our awnings up so the inside temp of the house sits at about 73 degrees Fahrenheit.

I got 4 small bottles of water, like half sized ones, that I cleaned, put treated water in, and froze, so I use them to cool her tank. I have a little fan that doesn't bother her, and sometimes I make ice cubes with her treated water and toss a few in. She's never given me a scare beyond me finding her asleep and freaking that she's, well, you know. It is inauspicious to speak of that.

So she looks good? She's my favorite and I worry.

Murk

Reaction score
Yeah, skin and gills look good - she doesn't look stressed. It's always good to have a test kit for water quality at hand, if only to ease your own worries ;)

If the darkness of the toes spread (or appears on other places of her body) that would be an issue. Currently it looks very normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1