Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl vomited, refuses to eat but besides that acts normally

PedroTrench

Reaction score
I have an axolotl that's about 4 months old. He didnt eat since saturday, and yesterday he vomited about 3 days worth of food. However, he mostly don't show any signs of stress or other symptoms. His gills are bright red (and they are big and heavy, so it's hard to distinguish if they are curled or not), his color is normal, maybe his tail is curled sometimes, but it may be from positioning. All the water parameters are normal (pH, ammonia, nitrites, temperature, current). I tried feeding him other food (he normally eats fish bits, he loves them) like shrimp, but he quickly loses interest on it. What should I do and what it could be? (I attached him and a pic of his vomit, it looks like fish - I feed him this since I got him in the end of January)

Attachments

• 20200330_142020.jpg
    20200330_142020.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 166
  • 20200401_021113.jpg
    20200401_021113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98

PedroTrench

Reaction score
I feed him normal amounts of food and there is no substrate since he is still small.

EllieWind

Reaction score
Axolotls can go for a few days without food so I wouldn't worry too much if it refuses food for a day or so. You can try offering some nightcrawler pieces, small red wrigglers, or bloodworms. Axolotls really shouldn't eat fish too often since they take longer to digest and can carry parasites. Cooked shrimp can make a good treat, but is generally too rich for them to eat frequently. You can also try getting some axolotl or trout pellets, though in my experience my axolotls have preferred and done well on a worm diet. I hope your axie starts feeling better soon and I wish you luck with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1