Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl weird gill?

edanded

Reaction score
Hey guys
So I don’t think this is an issue as such, but I’ve seen a few posts on Facebook recently about axolotls with “varicose veins” on their gills bursting and bleeding and I’m just not sure what this is? Our guy has a weird gill (kind of bent?) and I’ve never thought twice about it but I just want to be able to be prepared if there’s a chance he’ll just randomly start bleeding you know? In the pics it’s on his right his tallest gill- it looks a bit chunky too. Does this mean he shouldn’t be bred? As Lots of people are saying his colouring is quite special and to consider it. But idk. We’d obviously do that properly and not for a couple years anyway.
Also - does anyone know what colour he might be? Was sold to us as an albino as he has red eyes but I didn’t think true albinos have spots? He’s onky 6 months old and the spots have only just come on in the past 2 months since we’ve had him and getting more and darker every day. His eyes are red with like a dark ring around he outside and the spots are kinda dark brownish?

Attachments

• 92A9FA65-AEC1-443F-873C-A9747B2D0BA3.jpeg
    92A9FA65-AEC1-443F-873C-A9747B2D0BA3.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 5,907
  • 4AF70FD1-70FF-4AA8-810A-A8B32B5EAA38.jpeg
    4AF70FD1-70FF-4AA8-810A-A8B32B5EAA38.jpeg
    762.5 KB · Views: 157
  • D6C3CEB8-606E-4AC8-84A4-E422DC67A6B3.jpeg
    D6C3CEB8-606E-4AC8-84A4-E422DC67A6B3.jpeg
    756 KB · Views: 134

EllieWind

Reaction score
Looks like you have a copper axolotl. :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the crooked gill, sometimes axolotls are born with quirky gills but are completely fine otherwise. I also think you would be fine to breed your axie since it's not a major deformity and might not even be passed on to any potential offspring.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1