Axolotl with strange bumps

IamLeeCB

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I’ve had my Axolotl Pebble for just under a year now, and I noticed some weird lumps on his toes a little while back, but I thought it might just be a regrowth issue since it was in just one spot, but now the one on his front foot has grown and there’s a new one on his back foot. His other front foot is also looking very red, but not particularly swollen.

Here are some pictures, though it’s hard to get a good view of them because my phone won’t focus, sorry! Apart from looking kind of concerning, he’s acting pretty normal. He’s only just over a year old, and is active sometimes, though after one day of a lot of activity the next tends to be just him sitting at the bottom of his tank for the day. I’m not sure what to do, I don’t know of any vets near by that would treat an Axolotl, so if it’s something bad I don’t know what could be done and I really don’t want to loose him.

Attachments

• 721E8870-0413-4B94-B4A4-3BAF5EC1DBA0.jpeg
    721E8870-0413-4B94-B4A4-3BAF5EC1DBA0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
  • 159EC95F-DEED-4E71-ADC1-B0BBD3F21102.jpeg
    159EC95F-DEED-4E71-ADC1-B0BBD3F21102.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 109
  • 8C889BFC-5EAE-48D0-A220-21A5263BEE73.jpeg
    8C889BFC-5EAE-48D0-A220-21A5263BEE73.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 59505528-EAB8-43F0-A9E7-6AE26D6DAEAB.jpeg
    59505528-EAB8-43F0-A9E7-6AE26D6DAEAB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Hmm. They seem like they're part of his skin, not an outside growth of fungus or disease, so unless he starts displaying other symptoms or the toe bumps start causing him distress or trouble, I'd say just leave them! I don't know why they might be happening, but as long as he's acting alright everywhere else (no lethargy or constant swimming around, eating and pooping normally, no curled gills/curled tailtip) then I don't see any reason to try to treat them. The closest thing I can think of that he might have are microabscesses (little pockets of bacteria), but if the lumps all seem to be occurring in similar spots (on a "knuckle", etc.) then it might just be a genetic regeneration issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back