Axolotls and angelfish living together?!

grets66

Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Display Name
Grete
Hello!

I have had axolotls for 5 years now already and it all started with 2 and now we have 5 of them. We built them a big tank, 315 L and since they have lived together with guppies before then also at the moment we have a few guppies living there, one black molly fish and an applesnail. Also we got as a present 2 marble angelfishes who are living in the aquarium. They are big enough so they have no threat from the axolotls, other fishes might get eaten by the axolotls but some of them have survived for years.

My worry is about the angelfishes. I don't have any experiences with them and I can not figure out if the angelfishes might start to nibble on the gills or not. The fact that they will eat all guppy babies I know :) Usually the fishes don't go very close to the axolotls because they always eventually move and start attacking.

It is just that sometimes some of the gills seem a bit strange or different but at the same time not. Also one of my axies had a strange infection on one gill and it had like a white fungus growing on it. But when I touched it, it came off and everything was fine after that and it has not come back, only the gills have been damaged from that place.
Can the angelfishes also carry some kind of disease that might be affecting the axolotls?

It is just that I really have started to like these angelfishes and I would like to think that 315 L is big enough for all of them.

Please only helpful comments and not talks about how there should not be any fishes at all. I know the dangers and I also know that my axolotls are use to guppies and mollies, most of them get eaten and we actually keep them in the tank to assure live food and to maintain the natural pray moment.
The question here is about angelfishes.
Thank You!

Angelfish should be kept in a warm temperature tank, between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Axolotls should be kept in a cold temperature tank, between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

So no, even if the angelfish never nipped at the axolotl's gills it is still a very bad idea.

Please only helpful comments and not talks about how there should not be any fishes at all.

Then why ask the question? Fish and axies do not mix, and as already stated their requirements are completely different.

I agree with both above statements, and angelfish can be nippy, they will think the gils are a snack and probably peck and injure your axolotls.

I think it's unfair to keep fish with axolotls, especially since the fish you're choosing to keep with them need tropical temps and axolotls are cold water.

Yes, I read about the temperature thing, during the summer the water in tank is usually warmer anyways because we can not keep it so low as required :(
And the fish seem fine with this temperature but probably will need to start looking for a new family for the angelfish couple.
I just wanted to know if anybody has any experience with these two together not comments about how fish and axolotls should not be kept together at all. I think in such a big tank 5 little fishes will not do any harm and most likely they will get eaten first and in the wild didn't they live together with fishes?

Well keeping a tank cool is as simple as putting a few fans on it. If you can not keep the tank below 70 year round then don't keep axolotls in the tank.

Not to be rude but why don't you look up a care sheet for the angelfish? maybe a tropical fish keeping forum? I don't know much but from what I understand angelfish get pretty large...not large enough to eat a whole axolotl but large enough to do some serious damage. Axolotls are normally very sedentary so they're an easy target for any fish really.

Also if the tank is too warm it can cause the axolotls to get fungus which it seems like you've already experienced to some degree...

I think in such a big tank 5 little fishes will not do any harm and most likely they will get eaten first and in the wild didn't they live together with fishes?

In the 1 high elevation lake they are from, no there were no endemic fish other than small top dwelling insect and plant feeders. Introduction of the nile perch is 1 of many reasons its numbers in the wild have declined to an estimated few hundred. The chance of a fish ever even seeing an axolotl, or vice versa, in their native formerly massive lake was nil. This is 1 of many theories of why they developed the ability to remain in their larval state and become sexually mature.

Its just not a good idea and I dont think you'll find anyone here that will tell you any different.

i have to agree with everyone else here. It is not possible to keep both species housed together without compromising their welfare either by the fish picking on the axolotl or by not meeting optimum housing conditions for either species. Not housing them in their optimum living conditions will result in an increased likelihood of them becoming ill.

Angelfishes have been separated and my boyfriend is working on the fan to cool down the water. Hope there will not be any more gill problems.
:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back