Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls are illegal in California - here are the relevant laws

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Legally then it's a Federal issue I believe.

electronfusion

Reaction score
Just for clarity purposes. Ambystoma were ultimately banned as a result of fishermen releasing their bait in the state. Not from pet owners abandoning their pets.

Great point! Honestly, I've heard of lot's of misinformed people who dump their goldfish in the river. And goldfish, being a type of carp, are enormously invasive, but not illegal. They basically survive in all temperature, ph, and salinity ranges that permit life!

Not until they ban the whole family. For now only the genus Ambystoma is banned. Maybe it's coming though. If it happens, perhaps I'll give up exotics and take up a traditional pet like a cat, which has no environmental impact on native species when they're released.... ;)

Ahh, cats having no environmental impact!? Every day these days I see birds in my neighborhood picked off by cats. And usually they're left to rot and gather flies. Not even eaten.

It seems incredibly ambiguous as to what is banned by this law. I'm also curious about the mention of permits. I wonder if this is a wholesale ban, or a more reasonable limitation where someone of reasonable integrity and knowledge can apply for a permit, then import axolotls? This would make so much more sense, as permit holders would be required to educate themselves, and would be held accountable for their practices.

I'll look this up in the rest of the code, and possibly speak to someone in DFG and post back here if in fact there are such things as axolotl permits.

electronfusion

Reaction score
So I read into the matter, and it appears you can get a permit to keep a restricted species in California, granted that you keep it humanely, and keep it contained (supervised via inspections or a vet's signature), and pay the $50 application fee.

But because axolotls are on the even tighter "detrimental" species list, you could only get a permit to keep one if you've had it legally since before January 1992 and you pay the $426 fee. So for those with 18 year old axolotls and gobs of money, you can keep them in California.:(

pete

Reaction score
Ahh, cats having no environmental impact!? Every day these days I see birds in my neighborhood picked off by cats. And usually they're left to rot and gather flies. Not even eaten.

I just saw this post and wanted to clarify that the "winking-smiley" after my "cat" statement was to indicate the irony. Of course feral cats can have a tremendous effect on local rodent and bird populations. They'll even kill the endangered ones. No one will ever try to ban cats and that's the irony. Good luck with your search.

electronfusion

Reaction score
I just saw this post and wanted to clarify that the "winking-smiley" after my "cat" statement was to indicate the irony. Of course feral cats can have a tremendous effect on local rodent and bird populations. They'll even kill the endangered ones. No one will ever try to ban cats and that's the irony. Good luck with your search.

Yep, I got the winking-smiley. I was just vehemently agreeing with you, and throwing in my own personal experiences.

People keep lots of environmentally "detrimental" pets (cats, goldfish, bunnies that could hybridize with the indigenous jack-rabbits, etc.) but those pets aren't banned or even reasonably restricted sometimes. It's too bad.

Outlandish1358

Reaction score
Here in Australia, axolotls are as common as muck. I just bought mine, and have already got the attention of not one, but two axolotl owners down the street.

In reply to Swayman, I disagree with those saying euthanasia. Regardless of what the law says, I'd rather do what's moral. Get a permit if you can, but they are an endangered species in the wild, and I guess the survival of this species is in the hands of captive owners/breeders and those willing to preserve their natural habitat. Killing them off seems just wrong :( .

yresim

Reaction score
I agree that killing them off is wrong. I would suggest finding someone out of the state to take the babies off your hands. Consider driving them out if you are worried about getting caught shipping them.

As for the adults, that is a harder choice, because I imagine that you've built up a bond with them. At that point, it is up to you, but keep in mind that, if you are caught with them, they will most likely be euthanized. And, since you admitted to having them on a public forum, you may have already made yourself a target. :(

FrogEyes

Reaction score
It'd be interesting to see what the court precedents are. Here, the wildlife law SAYS that scientific names take precedence, but the courts have consistently ruled that BOTH names must apply. If the California courts ruled similarly, then the most likely result would be that ONLY those Ambystoma which are normally called "tiger" would be prohibited, and at worst they might expand it to include the entire subgenus [ie, all the Mexican and western species apart from A.gracile and the A.macrodactylum complex].

For example, the law here prohibits the sale of the following:
Thamnophis sirtalis red-sided garter snake
Thamnophis elegans wandering garter snake

For both of these, the common name ONLY refers to a portion of the taxon [the native portion] and not the taxon as a whole. The result is that the non-native subspecies CAN be sold. A further consequence is that regulations on the exotic species have to be looked at more closely - Notophthalmus viridescens red-spotted newt is prohibited, but by this precedent, that can ONLY refer to N.v.viridescens, as only that subspecies has that common name. There are several other such examples, although there is at least one where the situation is reversed: The native Ambystoma macrodactylum krausei is only referenced to the species level in both names, rendering all subspecies potentially protected [even though non-native taxa are unprotected]. I'll have to go back and do another reading, because I know there are a couple examples of wording which have the effect of completely changing status for some animals.

I would note that the likely reason the Alberta courts have ruled in this way is because the two names are not in conflict - one is simply a more specific example of the other. In law, that has the effect of acting as an adjective, and the law can ONLY be applied to the full definition. To clarify, if the law says that "tiger salamander" is prohibited, that CANNOT be taken to mean "salamander" is prohibited - only salamanders which are tiger salamanders. The clause must be interpreted in its entirety. It appears to me that the California law falls into this exact situation and would thus be open to a court challenge on that basis. The common name and scientific name are not in conflict, so the scientific name cannot take priority - the law should apply when BOTH names do, and not when only one does.

sparkyr99

Reaction score
Drugs and murder are also illegal in california, As well as almost anything else you can imagine. That doesn't seem to be stopping anyone. It would be hard for me to imagine anyone keeping an ambystoma species in california would run out and "euthanize" their pet. By making a big deal about it i would imagine more people are likely to release them into the wild for fear of prosecution. Its kinda like on the show cops: they throw the gun out the window because they don't want to be caught with it. I know there are many responsible owners out there, But this isn't fox news so don't start a panic. By the way, don't let peta hear about the euthanizing part, it is california after all.:D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ferrets are also illegal to own in California, but it's estimated that there are thousands of ferret owners there. This forum isn't trying to create panic, we just want people to aware. There won't be any axolotl raids of California homes, but people who have them should not expect to be allowed to sell them, nor to buy them from legitimate online vendors.

sparkyr99

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying, in my own sarcastic way. I just wouldn't expect anyone to listen to it from a "noob" like me. (haha). I have much more to learn about caudates, and very little left to learn about human nature. Thanks Jenn for coming out and saying that.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
There won't be any axolotl raids of California homes, but people who have them should not expect to be allowed to sell them, nor to buy them from legitimate online vendors.

Maybe not California but I do know or people in NJ. that had their axolotls confiscated.

emmyk

Reaction score
Is it illegal to bring them to California for a trip? I have to present a speech on them at Stanford and I don't know if I can bring Stanley..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

emmyk

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to get a permit? Do you know if I can travel with my axolotl in California? I have a speech event at Stanford on axolotls and i would typically bring him

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Karenchantal

Reaction score
Please, Please, Please...

If you see axolotls for sale in California pet shops, please report them to the above CFG Warden. If these amazing little creatures continue to be sold to inexperienced people who think that releasing them into the wild is the smart idea, then the laws regarding keeping animals in California will become more restrictive. There is also a need to shut this practice down in pet stores in order to protect the animals themselves.

Thank you for posting the information again, John.

Hi John, there is a traveling doctor that used to be my landlord living in Ramona California and he brings axolotls from Arizona and he has two in his house and he knows they are illegal.
He thinks he can just get away with breaking any law in California and he was a very horrible person to rent from and I moved from there but I used to feed his illegal axolotls.
Somebody needs to go look for them in his daughter's room because she does not feed them only he does or whoever takes care of the animals.
I was trying to figure which testimonial you were referring to. Can you give me another clue?
John

Karenchantal

Reaction score
Please, Please, Please...

If you see axolotls for sale in California pet shops, please report them to the above CFG Warden. If these amazing little creatures continue to be sold to inexperienced people who think that releasing them into the wild is the smart idea, then the laws regarding keeping animals in California will become more restrictive. There is also a need to shut this practice down in pet stores in order to protect the animals themselves.

Thank you for posting the information again, John.
Hi John,
There is a Doctor by the name of narinder Singh, he owns two of them and he knows they are illegal his daughter has them in her room she's only six and does not feed them and he brings them over from Arizona I've tried to report it several times but nobody's going to his house

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1