Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axolotls ba//s sticking out?

Melina

Reaction score
Hello!

I got new axolotls yesterday and they are males, not sure how old.

Today I went to check on them and I saw that one of them has a “thing” sticking out of his ba//s, it’s jelly-like and has like… hairs?

As I saw the making of babies by axolotls I thought that it’s normal because they are making babies, but he still has them out for 4 hours for now and doesn’t put them in?

I’m not sure if he is supposed to put them back in, but I’m pretty sure they shouldn’t be sticking out like that. Also he isn’t near any of his mates OR near the girl.

I thought it’s hard for him to put them in, or he just doesn’t want to? I also thought it’s a infection or something that causes that.

Please help! If a photo is needed, I could send.

Melina

Reaction score
Please attach a photo if possible. I hope you are not dealing with a prolapse.
Of course! Here it is… also he still didn’t put them back in.
3A88092F-F7F0-4A8F-BEE8-3EB149B339C4.jpeg
EDE52243-4F41-4199-B1A9-A689F781E404.jpeg
B86A396C-AFAF-48DA-9477-E1FFE6CEB8C4.jpeg

Melina

Reaction score
I hope that @wolfen or @axolotl nerd can confirm whether this is a cloacal prolapse or not. If it is, you will need to get it veterinary care immediately.
Oh no, that’s bad! I don’t have any vets near my home and the only one that is near is a 4 hour drive. Is there any way I could help him or will any baths help him? Also, is it possible for him to die..?

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I'm hoping it can be clarified that it *IS* a prolapse first. Sometimes, it's just more definition of the cloaca or a swollen cloaca. So I would rather wait for comment before drastic action is performed but *IFF* it is a prolapse, sugar water solution can often times help sap fluids and allow the organ to gently be pushed back in. Again, this *could* just be a swollen cloaca from rough-housing or an infection. Is he quarantined right now?

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Also, I noticed some large rocks in your tank. Rocks that are bigger than 2mm in length can be an impaction hazard for your amphibian friends and removal of those is strongly recommended. Gravel is not generally recommended either as it traps leftover food which can spike ammonia. There is dispute in axolotl husbandry as to whether gravel of any size can lead to impaction or only gravel larger than 2mm in length.

Melina

Reaction score
I'm hoping it can be clarified that it *IS* a prolapse first. Sometimes, it's just more definition of the cloaca or a swollen cloaca. So I would rather wait for comment before drastic action is performed but *IFF* it is a prolapse, sugar water solution can often times help sap fluids and allow the organ to gently be pushed back in. Again, this *could* just be a swollen cloaca from rough-housing or an infection. Is he quarantined right now?
I’m not home right now but as soon as I get home I will put him in another aquarium. Is it needed tho? Because I only have a small one that was needed for small axolotls, I don’t have any else and im not sure if it’s okay to put them in a bowl.

Melina

Reaction score
Also, I noticed some large rocks in your tank. Rocks that are bigger than 2mm in length can be an impaction hazard for your amphibian friends and removal of those is strongly recommended. Gravel is not generally recommended either as it traps leftover food which can spike ammonia. There is dispute in axolotl husbandry as to whether gravel of any size can lead to impaction or only gravel larger than 2mm in length.
Omg thanks!! I read in the internet that the rocks aren’t good, that sand or nothing is better but the shop-staff said that it’s fine. I trusted him but I wasn’t so sure. Also for the big rock, I will remove it and replace it with a small house for them!!

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I’m not home right now but as soon as I get home I will put him in another aquarium. Is it needed tho? Because I only have a small one that was needed for small axolotls, I don’t have any else and im not sure if it’s okay to put them in a bowl.
If the smaller aquarium is cycled, then it's okay. Otherwise, tubbing is usually done in a 10g tub with daily water changes and conditioned water. As long as he isn't with another axolotl is all. I'd be worried about nipping and aggressiveness or if it's an infection you don't want the other axolotl he's with to be hurt or to hurt him.

Melina

Reaction score
If the smaller aquarium is cycled, then it's okay. Otherwise, tubbing is usually done in a 10g tub with daily water changes and conditioned water. As long as he isn't with another axolotl is all. I'd be worried about nipping and aggressiveness or if it's an infection you don't want the other axolotl he's with to be hurt or to hurt him.
Ah okay, I will set the small Aquarium for him asap. I don’t want any of my other axolotls to get an infection or something, also, can it spread? Because it’s been almost 1 day since he is been like this and I’m not sure if it can spread.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
If it's an infection, yeah. But it may not be. It may just be something physical. I would recommend monitoring the health of your other axolotls just as precautionary.

wolfen

Reaction score
ideally need a photo taken underneath, the swelling doesn't seem to be fluid filled like a normal prolapse would present and is most likely an over amorous male, dropping the temperature in the tank may be enough to calm him as 20°c is breeding temperature, dropping to 15°c - 18°c (preferably closer to 15°c) would be fine and would also benefit the axolotl with nipped tail. adding 2g salt per litre water will help if it is a prolapse, if he doesn't calm or the swelling going down then he may need to be separated and reassessed.

Melina

Reaction score
ideally need a photo taken underneath, the swelling doesn't seem to be fluid filled like a normal prolapse would present and is most likely an over amorous male, dropping the temperature in the tank may be enough to calm him as 20°c is breeding temperature, dropping to 15°c - 18°c (preferably closer to 15°c) would be fine and would also benefit the axolotl with nipped tail. adding 2g salt per litre water will help if it is a prolapse, if he doesn't calm or the swelling going down then he may need to be separated and reassessed.
Oh god, I thought 20*c was normal, I had it all my life! Thank you for this information, I will send the photo asap if I can make it. Also, I put him in a small aquarium because I thought it could spread, can I put him back if possible?

wolfen

Reaction score
until he either calms or the swelling reduces he might be better left in the spare aquarium provided it is either cycled or 100% water change done daily, whilst he is separated salt solutions can be added if required which may be higher then the plants in your tank can tolerate, this could be either 100% holtfreters or ARS depending on if it is a prolapse. it will also make it easier to remove if a sugar paste is required.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Oh god, I thought 20*c was normal, I had it all my life! Thank you for this information, I will send the photo asap if I can make it. Also, I put him in a small aquarium because I thought it could spread, can I put him back if possible?
i'm not sure if this is a prolapse or just inflammation, in all honesty. @wolfen is more or less an expert at home treatments, i reccomended following their advice

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
20C is the low end of the tolerable temperatures. That means they can put up with it but it's not the ideal. 15-18C is more suitable.

Akakko

Reaction score
Once they get put in fresh cold water, they usually get horny even if it’s all males

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1