Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls +Co2

Dr. Phil

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean. Are you adding CO2 to the tank to stimulate plant growth? I don't think that would be a good idea! It might stimulate the plant growth but will lower the pH and make for an unhappy axolotl.
If you want real plants in your tank, during the day (or under illumination) they will absorb the CO2 in the water produced by your axolotl and what dissolves in from the air. Plants also help to remove nitrogenous waste produced by axolotls. At night (or in the dark) plants respire just like animals and will deplete the oxygen in the water and release CO2. This should not be a problem if you have adequate filtration/aeration. I personally like to have some live plants in my aquaria. They need to be robust enough to handle the occassional whacking they will get from the animals. As you can see in the image, I've got a plastic plant in addition to some struggling elodea and chara (and a fair bit of algae covering everything). I couldn't help but add a couple of pics of my albino male and 'Cruella' the melanoid.
ax1.jpg
ax2.jpg
ax3.jpg

JM29

Reaction score
CO2 released by the axolotl(s) should be enough for the plants. No need to add more.
Aeration may be good for axolotls but not for the plants because it helps getting rid of CO2. I have none.
With fast-growing plants producing a lt of vegetal matter, Oxygen produced during the day is much more than oxygen consumed by the plants by night.
(with a good ligth of course)
Concerning filtration, I won't give any advice. It's a technical choice to have one or not. I have none.
Axo2.JPG

My tank, in my garage.
The current temperature is 14°C. It can vary from 4 to 22°C between winter and summer.
The higher the temperature, the lesser oxygen you have in the water.

JM29

Reaction score
Thanks.
I began with only Egeria densa, hornwort and Lemna minor.
I added Bacopa caroliniana and Alternanthera reinecki when I saw the plants growing well and the axolotls Ok. Axolotls enrich the soil (river sand).
The last plant introduced was Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1