Axolotls fighting

bo

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
So my two axolotls have been fighting a lot lately, to begin with they only fought a little around feeding time, but now they fight very often. I have a female and a male (I think) and it's mostly the female showing aggressive behavior. The male have had some of his gills bitten off, and a few days ago, the tip of his tail has been bitten off. He has been very shy the past week, hiding more than usual, and the female, who has a bite-wound on her leg, is showing signs of stress.
What can I do, and what could be the reason for them fighting?
I would really appreciate help, I am getting desperate.

Separate them. What size tank are they in? How many hides do you have, and how old are they?

The tank is a 60 L tank, I'm not sure how old they are, and I have a lot of hiding places. I went to my local pet-shop to buy something for the tank, and asked someone there, and he also said I should separate them.
Thanks for the answer :)

Yeah, that tank is far too small for 2 Axolotls, and is probably why they were fighting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back